Frost-Free Fridge is NOT!

The house we just moved into has a Frigidaire "frost-proof" refrigerator. For the second time in three weeks, I've had to let the ice melt off of the evaporator, accessible via two service panels on the back fridge wall. Apparently it worked fine for the previous owners, who advised me not to use the coldest setting. Well, I don't, and now it's acting up.

The manual mentions a "moist minder" -- a contraption which sits in the drain opening leading to the drip tray. Apparently it keeps air out (and it's been awfully humid here) but still allows water to drain. Well, there's nothing like that there, but I'm not really convinced that it's the problem anyway.

I think it's the self defrost feature not being triggered for whatever reason, but I'm not sure where to look for the serviceable parts.

I should mention that this Frigidaire has the freezer on the bottom. More importantly, though, the previous owner's bought it new in 1959. On the back it reads: "Frigidaire, a division of General Motors, Dayton 1, Ohio." I have to say, this thing is built and runs like a Buick. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. Anyway, a new fridge is in the works, but I need this one to last just a few more weeks.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

-jk

Reply to
contrapositive

contrapositive, decides to chip in.

Hey it's lasted this long. Think it's time to retire it. Its an energy hog and probably uses more electricity in one week than a new one uses in a year. Try turning it up so it just keeps what you need cold or cool and use it till you get the new one. Or if it gets real bad, ice and cooler might be the only option.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich is right. Replacing it will save you money. Even if the repair is free, it energy cost of the old one over a few years will be so much higher than the new one that the new one would be free.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan