fridge: can i wire defroster to go on with compressor?

my fridge repairman took my fridge over to his place to diagnose a warm fridge/cold freezer prob.

he said its the timer which went, but he doesnt have a double timer available (we live in a quite remote area). he has a single channel timer he can install though.

my limited knowledge of fridges tells me this means the glass tube defroster heater will go on at the same time the compressor goes on.

will this work? or are defrosters and compressors not meant to overlap in operation?thanks

Reply to
komodore comrade

I may be 100% wrong, but I would think that you want to run the defroster when the compressor is off and not all the time it is off, just long enough often enough to defrost as needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is Turtle.

1] i have worked on refrigerators all my life and never heard of a double defrost timer on refrigerators.

2] if the defrost heater element tries to defrost when the compressor is running, well this would be the last thing on this earth you would want it to do and also it will not work.

3] there is no such thing as a timer not available now days even you living in nowhere , U.S.A. . Take the time and order the right part to replace the timer you have. post the model and serial number of the refrigerator and maybe the timer number and we will tell where they have them and how much.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

i thought a non -frost free fridge have a single timer , a frost free has a double (but i wouldnt be surprised if i am confusing things here)

Reply to
komodore comrade

Hi,

Been doing refrigeration for 25+ years, never heard of an double timer.

Refrigerator make, model#, approx age?

Nope! There are/was some hot gas defrost refrigerators that ran the compressor during the defrost mode, these would likely need to be 30+ years old.

Since you have the internet, anything can come to you :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Non-frostfree don't have a timer at all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Defroster and compressor need to operate at different times. I'm thinking you'd get better service from your fridge if you wait the extra day and let him (her) get the correct part.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

its a late 80s model inglis fridge.

you guys mean the compressor doesnt use a timer? so it runs off a thermostat only then

why isnt the heater controlled by its own thermostat then instead of using a timeer? what is the time factor for ?

thanks for all the explainations so far

Reply to
komodore comrade

The heater is on a timer that turns it on periodically to cycle the heater on for a short period, which melts the accumulated ice. I don't know how frequently it actually comes on, but would expect about once a day or so.

Reply to
trader4

The timer cuts power to the compressor and turns on power to the heater. It does this every "X" hours. Since the coil runs below freezing moisture turns to ice on it and accumualtes. The heater comes on to defrost the coil and the water runs down in to a pan under the compressor where the hot air evaporates it.

I agree with the other posters and would wait to get the correct part.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

its a late 80s model inglis fridge.

you guys mean the compressor doesnt use a timer? so it runs off a thermostat only then CY: When the defrost timer is in "defrost", it disconnects power to the compressor.

why isnt the heater controlled by its own thermostat then instead of using a timeer? CY: Both. Timer supplies power, typically 28 minutes every 8 hours. there is a thermostat that turns off the heater when the coil is melted.

what is the time factor for ? CY: Well, it's gotta defrost some time, and an engineer back way yonder figgered it tout.

thanks for all the explainations so far CY: Y'all come back now, hear?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon