Freezer is fine Fridge is not

I have a Magic Chef fridge w/freezer on top.

Within the last week the fridge stopped cooling, but the freezer works fine.

I looked for frost, but didn't see any anywhere.

Do you know what could be going on here?

Reply to
Dan Sanders

Make sure the fan inside is running else it cannot recirculate the cold air from the freezer to the fridge. Sometimes they get jammed or the air passage is blocked by contents or the motor just quits. This fan is usually located behind a panel in the back of the freezer or fridge. It's usually the noisiest part of the appliance, is is quieter today?

Since the freezer works, the compressor and all that stuff is good.

Reply to
PipeDown

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:07:35 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dan Sanders" quickly quoth:

There's usually a thermostatically controlled fan (+ door?) between the compartments. Start there. Are there separate freezer and refrigerator temperature controls?

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The fan on the bottom next to the compressor is running, I hear the fan in the freezer running.

I left it turned off last night with the doors open, now I'm going to turn it back on to see if it was ice blockage...

Reply to
Dan Sanders

The fan on the bottom next to the compressor is running, I hear the fan in the freezer running.

I left it turned off last night with the doors open, now I'm going to turn it back on to see if it was ice blockage...

There are sepearate controls for the fridge and freezer.

Reply to
Dan Sanders

After turning it back on, there was no difference. Freezer very cold and fridge around 63...

Reply to
Dan Sanders

The fridge works after I turn it off and open the doors for a day.

This leads me to think that there is a blockage between the freezer and the fridge.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Dan Sanders

Had a similar problem with an old GE frig. Almost no frost/ice in the compartment. Took the back panel of the freezer out and spent a couple of hours with a hair dryer and a knife to get all the ice out. I could see how it could take 24 hours or longer just shutting it off. Lot less work if you don't have to get it back into service though.

Reply to
T Shadow

So could it be a heater problem or what?

Reply to
Dan Sanders

Last time it happened the frig was too old to put any more money into it. Earlier in it's life I replaced the defrost timer. It was only working every other cycle. Without a manual I wouldn't have known the timer didn't use the same contacts for each cycle. It's the only thing I replaced on the frig in

25 years.
Reply to
T Shadow

The final on this: the compressor was going, we were told this by a service guy that came and took it all apart and looked it over.

We had a home waranty and they gave us 500 towards a new one.

Reply to
Dan Sanders

I find that very hard to believe. Typically, the fan in the freezer moves air in the freezer compartment. A part of the air is metered into the frig. I would

1st suspect something with the airflow. I am very negative on these repair people because about 3 months ago our Kitchenaid built-in stopped .... in this case the freezer showed signs of high temperature as the ice cream was a little softer. A few days later, the ice cubes got more transparent. We removed everything from both frig and freezer, putting in the stand-alone freezer, the neighbor's frig and freezer and our RV freezer/frig. Called the "authorized KA" company. The guy walking in and said, "You should have let the unit run.": I said they should have told us that when we ordered service! He than said, "Well, this compressor/evaporator/condenser is over 5 years old so it will be $1500 for new compressor/evaporator/c> The final on this: the compressor was going, we were told this by a service
Reply to
Art Todesco

When I finally tracked this problem down on my Whirlpool I found out my wife was stacking stuff up too close to the vent where the freezer air goes into the fridge. It iced up and the fridge stopped working.

Reply to
gfretwell