Follow up question on finishing bi-level basement

I have have concrete / half wood frame walls in my basement. The upper wood portion is insullated and dry walled. I want to finish the lower, concrete portion now. I will put a 2x4 frame against the concrete and attach the sole plate with the nail gun. My question is: do i need to further anchor this frame? As it will not be going up to the ceiling, do I anchor a top plate to anything??

Jaxx

Reply to
Jaxx

I think I would.

Two ways to do it are build the 1/2 wall level with the concrete and then use a 2 x X to top of the wall and secure it to the concrete. The other option is to use short sections of 2 x 4 to return to the wall and then top off with 1 X stock. The cost will be about the same. If you can find some nice clean 2 X stock that may even be cheaper.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Normally, in this situation they just cap off the top of the studs slightly higher than the concrete ledge, and anchor it to the existing wall studs. You may need to rip down a 2x6 to mak up for the setback.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Pressure treated wood should be used when in direct contact with concrete. Some inspectors bitch about it.

Just a thought

Jaxx wrote:

Reply to
Sexytom976