Follow-up on notarizing will 2

No, I asked the latter question only, notarize my will, but you raise an interesting question and I want to know the answer too, so I called UPS several times -- that was where the woman was who seemed to know all about this -- and just got a recording that they were busy, call back. For anything to do with UPS. (Which is a franchise, it turns out.)

But today I called in the morning and the very person answered, And she said "It's still the will." and she doesn't do it.

And did I say before that the guy who did do it, he and his employee witnessed every page (not legally required but good practice. Otherwise bad people take out one page and put in one they like better) and he stamped every page with his notary stamp. He treated the will and the witness statement the same.

Even though she's an employee of UPS, they don't give her any insurance that notaries should have.

I asked how much she charged, $4 a signature, which she said was capped by law** and a will has only one signature, I guess the testator, not the witnesses, and it's not worth the risk of having to go to court for $4. OTOH, the guy I went to charges $65, so it's well worth it, and he owns the store or half of it so he doesn't lose money if he's not there. She didn't understand how he could charge that much since the law says $4. OTOH I only write a new will every 48 years so I'm ready to pay whatever they charge. (I wouldn't call it a premonition, but I think my luck may run out during this trip, so I wanted the will before I left.)

**although the traveling notary was going to charge $5/signature (not 4) x 3 signatures (including the witnesses?) + $8 travel charge. Doesn't seem like much, but that woman, the traveling notary, must know what she's doing. Her webpage says she's done iirc 4000, four thousand, secular legal marriages in the last 20 years. She managed to get a license to do marriages and after 20 years, she must know how much her time is worth.

Back to the UPS woman, she said the only ones who make any money are the real estate notaries because lots of people are signing and I guess they sign more than once, (Even then, how many signatures could there be? The contract is signed alreddy, so there is the transfer of deed, the mortgage. Is there anything else? 3 or 4 signaturs a piece, 8 signatures times 4 dollars, how is 32 dollars money?** It's more than

4, but....one has to arrange her whole schedule to be there at the right time, so in a way it's 2 or 3 hours work.
Reply to
micky