Flue liner, or not, for AFUE 80 fFurnace

I'm in the process of getting my gas furnace replaced. I have three bids from three different firms, based on single-stage AFUE 80 models from American Standard, Carrier, and Trane.

The bids are fairly close, but the Trane-based one is a few hundred dollars lower. This appears to be because Trane offers a kit of some sort which makes it possible to vent its single-stage furnace through the existing masonry chimney without dropping in a metal flue liner. In contrast, the other two bids include the installation of the flue liner.

So I'm wondering: (1) Just what this Trane device does to avoid the condensation which I'm told would otherwise occur if an AFUE 80 furnace were vented through the old chimney without a liner; and (2) whether there is a downside to going with this Trane solution.

TIA

hs AT dc-sug DOT org

Reply to
nospam

I need one too, also a screened cap or hood.

Reply to
udarrell

Don't post this shit to alt.hvac

Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.' 'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.' HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online

pjm