Flow control through 1/4 tubing?

I have some 1/4" OD flexible plastic tubing I wish to control water flow though. All I can think of offhand is two large flat washers with a nut and bolt straddling it and squashing the line between the washers to control the flow. Haven't tried this yet so don't know if it will work.

Any better ideas? It is out of sight so need not be pretty. Any suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

More elegant - small ball valve with FPT ends, and hose barbs screwed into it?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Your on the right track, but if you want something more exotic:

Just get one of these clamp thingies:

I remember using them to control air flow through home aquarium hoses

60+ years ago.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

jeff_wisnia wrote in news:V8qdnWt3jPa-9XDMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks much. Looks like just the thing! Wonder where I can find one or one like it locally - True Value? Lowes? Home Depot?

Reply to
KenK

What is the water pressure on the supply-side of the tube?

Reply to
Home Guy

Petsmart?

Reply to
TimR

Got some thin, stiff plastic like a notebook or file cover?

  1. snip off a piece about an inch wide & six inches long

  1. fold in half the long way

  2. punch a hole through both pieces near the end opposite the fold

  1. slip one hole over the tube

5a. if you are working at the end of the tube, bend the tube in half and slip the free end into the other hole.

5b. if you are in the middle, make a cut in the unoccupied hole so you can slip the tubing into the hole after bending it

Reply to
dadiOH

Or, a wooden clothespin (spring type). Or a regular spring clamo.

Reply to
dadiOH

That's what we used when I worked in a lab.

Reply to
Frank

For crude control, you can get shut off clamps from a chemistry lab place. Looks like a mini C clamp, but two flat surfaces.

Or, you can get an inline globe valve for water copper, from Home Depot. Compression fitting clamp onto two pieces of 1/8 water copper (which is

1/4 OD) and then slip the hose clamp over the copper. Couple spiral clamps to hold the hose onto the copper.

though. All I can think of offhand is two large flat washers with a nut and bolt straddling it and squashing the line between the washers to control

the flow. Haven't tried this yet so don't know if it will work.

Any better ideas? It is out of sight so need not be pretty. Any suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks much. Looks like just the thing! Wonder where I can find one or one like it locally - True Value? Lowes? Home Depot?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
1/4 inch is a standard plumbing size, and you should be able to buy both ball valves and needle valves in 1/4 inch size 5 days a week in both threaded and compression fitting connections.

Open your yellow pages to Tube & Fittings and phone around to the companies listed there.

Reply to
nestork

No, they won't have it.

An aquarium store, or a pet store.

You never said if you wanted to turn the water on and off only or if you wanted to have adjustments in between.

If the first something like this is good

[ __ __[ ] ] ] ] (_)

If you squeeze it with the parts at the top, the two veritcal parts in the middle open up. The arms are crossed, which is why squeezing them doesn't close the middle. . The parentheses are a spring. The whole thing is about 2.5 inches long.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Adjustments.

Reply to
KenK

Home Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Guy.com:

I have no idea. It's the 'bleeder' output of an evaporative cooler water pump. It bleeds off some water to the ground from the cooler reservoir as the pump runs to help control calcium buildup.

Reply to
KenK

"dadiOH" wrote in news:ksk0dd$v6s$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Interesting idea! Never thought of that.

Reply to
KenK

Anywhere that sells pond pumps and tubing, so that should include Lowes and Home Depot.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan