flat roof problem

A month ago, I had flat roof (800 sf) repaired. Installed rubberoid over black insulation material and plywood. Had to do it to stop leaking roof.

Roof did not leak for about a month. Then suddenly I noticed water drops comimg from ceiling through ceiling fan hanging point. It was not the same leak location. Since there was already a hole in the ceiling to hang the ceiling fan, water made easy way out from there. It had rained fairly heavily that day.

Called the roofer immediately. He promised to show up right away. But it has almost 3 weeks. Has not shown up yet despite several calls.

In the meantime, it rained several times, at least 8 times. Everytime it rained, I made it a point to put a bucket underneath the leaking ceiling fan to collect dripping water. Interesting it leaked only two more times. It does not leak evety time it rains. What should I assume here? Is the leak fixed by itself? Is the water getting collected behind the ceiling somewhere but not finding its way out? And how do I deal with this roofer who has not shown up to correct his work despite repeated calls over the past three weks?

Reply to
nativecrafts

Could have fixed itself if there is a heat-softened adhesive. Could be a low spot that has to fill before it leaks, and some rains aren't sufficient to fill it. Got standing water after it rains? Send the guy a certified letter, cc to licensing agency.

Reply to
Norminn

My vote is also for the low spot that has to fill before it leaks.

Reply to
scott21230

It could be that the leak is simply flowing somewhere else that you don't notice. It could also be that debris got sucked into the hole and slowed down the leak.

3 weeks is way too long to wait for a leak issue. If you're not up to sniffing out the source of the leak, get a different roofer to fix things and send the original schmuck the bill. Document everything and read over your paperwork. You may have to take this guy to court.
Reply to
yellowbirddog

I got my first lesson in repairing similar roof today. Hubby is condo board president and rarely imparts detailed information to me. We had a skylight replaced on a flat section of our condo roof a few months ago, along with replacement of a rotted beam due to long-term leaks. So, the new skylight began to leak, which I knew it would. I was the only person around most of the time the work was being done, and was able to ask the right questions to get contractor to fix sagging wire lath before he slathered on the new stucco on our atrium ceiling. So, I check the ceiling now and then, and told hubby it leaked and showed him where. Sub-contractor out, torched the rubber membrane where it had two small openings in seams. I would guess he used propane, as he had a tank of something. :o) I didn't watch the work, and have no idea what the rubber roof looks like - there is nothing that could entice me to the roof, including large sums of money :o)

Before hubby was the condo pres, he was "building manager" for 4 years. I was the unofficial vice-manager and head assistant. Did the letter writing, helped interview bidders, held the tools, and bugged him when he did sloppy work, etc. One sure way to get a contractor out when they are going too slow was to send a nice, business-like letter .. state the problem, date and time of attempts to contact them. It worked for me. I would also mention the nature and extent of the damage due to the leak. Might want to contact homeowners ins. co, too.

Reply to
Norminn

it is not unknown for a leak to " fix itself" this is usually caused by dirt and the like plugging a hole.

try not to rely on this, and attempt to locate it and patch as required

From your description that it does not always happen, it sounds like a wind driven issue. try and study which way the rain / wind is going when it does leak then study the flashings on those faces

I trust you have checked it is not condensation ?

if you need to discuss further email me direct

David

Reply to
David

was it one of these products