Flat roof

Having moved into my first home 6 months ago I find myself getting round to some of the jobs I've been putting off. One of them is replacing the flashing on the conservatory roof. My problem is how to get at it....

Conservatory is appended to a small kitehcn extension which has a flat roof. I assume its just made from timber in which case I'm slightly apprehensive about standing on it. Can anyone give me an indication of how sturdy these flat roofs tend to be?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It'd better be up to being stood anyway. If it's so weak that it can't hold the weight of an average person, then get it pulled down and redone.

Reply to
BigWallop

Depends how big it is. If it's anything more than 6' wide it would have to have been stood on during construction, so it was strong enough then.

However, that doesn't guarantee the timbers haven't rotted through by now.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks, I've no reason to believe its a shoddy job, I've just never stood on a flat roof.....

Reply to
Dave

Mine had been up 20 years, and was a pain to get down, no problem parking a car on it.

Also my conservatry roof, which I modifed the pitch on to 2 1/2 degrees (min recomended is 15) will hold my weight with no problem.

It has to be able to hold a pile of snow, which is water, so are you ............

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

It *should* be as strong as a floor. But be careful not to damage the felt if you walk on it - best to use boards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman