Fireplace wont come on

I have a Heatilator fireplace model GNRC36 its 19 years old but hardly use as it doesn't get very cold here (Houston) I went to start fireplace, pilot light lights, stays on, turn gas knob to on nothing happens, no wall switch it does have a remote starter installed new batteries still nothing, unplugged remote connected the two wires to the TH and TH-TP terminals nothing, I then jump TH to TH-TP terminals still nothing. could it be gas valve?

thanks in advance. Im just trying to get this fix for my 88 year old father cheers.

Reply to
fredcoelectric

Try tapping on it a few times. Sometimes they stick. Also check the thermopile. It might not be putting out enough power to power the gas valve. The battery only powers the thermostat- a weak thermopile may keep the pilot on but not be able to pull the gas valve open. Sometimes just cleaning the flame sensor and contacts will get it working again (particularly on units that have sat unused for several seasons) If it is a "milivolt" system - and that means the unit will run even without power.

Looking at the part number you give it's an electronic ignition unit - so no thermopile - runs off line power. Still try tapping the gas valve as you turn it on and off - but you will LIKELY need a new gas valve.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Check the thermocouple that's in the pilot light flame. It has to produce enough voltage to power and open the gas valve. It's there so that if no pilot flame is there, the gas valve won't open and if the flame goes out after it's open, it will close. If you have a meter I'm sure there are plenty of videos online. They are cheap and easy to replace if that's the problem, which is very likely. If the pilot is lit, manually turning the gas valve to on doesn't light it, it's either the thermocouple, the wiring between it and the gas valve, or the gas valve.

Reply to
trader_4