fireplace door glass

i am considering fabricating some doors and frame for my fireplace but i am having a hard time finding just the glass..googeling for fireplace door glass brings up complete doors..any help would be appreciated cj

Reply to
cj

Just look for a glass company in your phone book, and tell them what you're after.

Reply to
Goedjn

I believe the glass in a fireplace door is tempered. Did you realize that? Using regular glass might break when exposed to the reflected heat.

Reply to
Ken

Try this place.

If you really want some glass that is virtually shatterproof for fireplace doors, use the NeoCeram stuff they sell. I blew out two sets of fireplace doors (two different places) and found out that tempered glass doors are not supposed to be closed when there is a fire (?). Seems a bit odd...

Anyway the NeoCeram stuff is nice, you can put ice on one side and a blowtorch on the other side and it won't shatter. The down side is it is pricey! (e.g. two pieces 22"x24" is about $300).

They also sell tempered glass if needed too. No idea on that price.

Good site, good people, they'll customize the glass any way you want (e.g. holes drilled, finished edges, etc), fast too. I'm sure there are other places that sell this stuff too.

Good luck!

Reply to
TomCase

Do you know you must order the glass made to size. You can not cut it once it is processed. A local glass company, likely one that works with the local fire place shops should be able to take care of you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Maybe try an inquiry at a woodstove shop?

Reply to
jackson

What possible use would fireglass doors serve if they couldn't be closed while you have a fire? That is exactly when they should be closed. Possibly they were sized wrong.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

I dunno all about this kind of stuff, but I remember when I bought a set of fireplace doors and frame at HD a couple of years ago I was suprised to find that same warning in the installation instructions.

And of course the photo on the carton label showed the glass doors closed with a fire blazing behind them.

Go figger, but to play it safe, I've just closed the screened doors when the fire's burning and closed the glass doors after it's died down.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That's why he's looking for *fireplace* door glass. :)

But you make a good point.

Reply to
mm

But your fireplace already has a flue to close when there is no fire. If glass doors are only closed when there is no fire then they are doing NOTHING. There would be zero reason to even have them.

Common sense dictates that one uses glass (as opposed to something opaque) because you want to SEE something on the other side. I don't know about you, but I don't find a fireplace with no fire burning anything I want to particularly look at. So again, only closed when there is no fire means that the doors should just be made of steel. There would be no reason to use glass at all.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Hi,,, er,, uh,,, is everyone on this site really touchy? Or is it just me. DAMN! Y'all need a deep breath, and a valium!

Besides, fireplaces suck,,, the heat right out of your house don't they? Glass or no? I'm making a wood stove out of an old water heater tank, thought about glazing the front but figured it would blow sooner or later.

Thanks for your thoughts, calm or otherwise. KGB

Reply to
KGB

Don't use usenet much huh?

You think this was a heated exchange? There is a total of three exclamation marks in the thread (two of them from you) and exactly one expletive (yours).

If you're going to view a little emphasis as "being touchy" then you're going to have a rather skewed opinion of many things you read on newsnet.

My "enthusiasm" for the fireplace door issue has been honed by numerous conversations with my significant other who is unable to see the clarity of my argument. If that made my post seem harsh I apologise profusely. I have a similar enthusiasm when my mother insists that going outdoors in cold weather is the reason you catch colds.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

CJ, if you are looking to save the heat in your house (and any produced by the fire) from going straight up the chimney the glass doors may help a tiny bit. But if you are really looking to cut down on the lost heat I would really suggest looking at a new wood stove. Plus, most stoves have an air wash system that will keep that new glass from turning black after 2 fires and prevent you from seeing anything anyway.

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

Yeahbut..... Those closed glass doors, just like the ones on our china cabinet, help keep what's inside of the fireplace from getting all dusty, don't they?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you have both solid glass doors, and and external combustion-air supply, a fireplace should be able to get to nearly 1/3d as efficient as a stove.

Reply to
Goedjn

My kids accidentally broke the glass on my fireplace glass door and I looked around at glass shops for a replacement. I didnt realize how bad my damper was untill those doors were out. I ended up going a less expensive route and getting a chimney balloon to plug the fireplace chimney flue. This solved the bad damper and as for the glass doors I just removed them and put a candelabra in the hearth. I never used the fireplace much anyway, it made my home feel colder when I used it anyway. The only comfy spot was right in front of it.

Reply to
German Jerry

If you are looking for glass for a fireplace, it needs to be a special type of temperd glass that is heat resistant and able to withstand high temps. If you are interested, we can order you some and cut it to your sizes however, I must warn you that it is pretty expensive. I believe it's somewhere in the $400 price range for a standard opening.

Jeff Salmeto The Shower Door Store Quality Shower Enclosures For Your Home

The Shower Door Store

I think you're supposed to use it before you turn on the furnace in the fall, and after you turn it off in the spring.

Reply to
mm