Finishing the bedroom floor

I'm ripping up the carpet in the master bedroom. Underneath is sub-floor; i.e. raw plywood. It's quite stained with animal urine. What I need to do is fill in the gaps and holes, paint with "Kilz" (sealer, primer, stain- blocker), and then paint the floor.

I was thinking of using floor leveler to fill the gaps and holes. Is this a good idea, or not? If not, then what?

Can floor leveler be painted? Will it hold the paint, or will it chip?

I will use floor paint, of course, and finish with a few coats of polymer finish (or whatever that stuff is).

Any tips, advice, cautions, etc?

In case you're wondering why I plan to paint, it's because (1) it's cheap and (b) it's easily cleaned. (No more pet stains. I can put down rugs, and throw them away if they become soiled.)

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Okay, first of -- before anyone else says it -- wouldn't it be easier to housebreak your pets/kids?

Second off, paint? Expoxy finish on a bedroom? Why no linoleum or

1-piece vinyl?

Just seems weird.

Generally if you were going to paint plywood, you would use plywood with a finished side.

Reply to
Pat

SQ-

I'm not really sure I understand what your objective is but.....

if you want a no maint / bullett proof industrial grade finish

fill the cracks with

avaiable at Home Depot

Paint with Rustoleum 9100 Series Industrail Mastic (funy name but it's paint)

avaiable at pro paint stores or online

the stuff ain't cheap but it's durable

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

-> Suzie-Q wrote:

-> > I'm ripping up the carpet in the master bedroom. Underneath is sub-floor;

-> > i.e. raw plywood. It's quite stained with animal urine. What I need to do

-> > is fill in the gaps and holes, paint with "Kilz" (sealer, primer, stain-

-> > blocker), and then paint the floor.

-> >

-> > I was thinking of using floor leveler to fill the gaps and holes. Is this

-> > a good idea, or not? If not, then what?

-> >

-> > Can floor leveler be painted? Will it hold the paint, or will it chip?

-> >

-> > I will use floor paint, of course, and finish with a few coats of polymer

-> > finish (or whatever that stuff is).

-> >

-> > Any tips, advice, cautions, etc?

-> >

-> > In case you're wondering why I plan to paint, it's because (1) it's cheap

-> > and (b) it's easily cleaned. (No more pet stains. I can put down rugs, and

-> > throw them away if they become soiled.)

->

-> Okay, first of -- before anyone else says it -- wouldn't it be easier

-> to housebreak your pets/kids?

That's done, for the most part. The stains were made by elderly pets, who aren't with me anymore. :-(

-> Second off, paint? Expoxy finish on a bedroom? Why no linoleum or

-> 1-piece vinyl?

Paint's cheaper, isn't it? Bedroom is two sections, the old bedroom and the new part, the expanded part. The old part is about 12' x 12'. The new part is 15' x 15'. I'd want the floor to be the same in both parts, which are connected by a 10-foot wide opening.

-> Just seems weird.

It might be. Do you have any suggestions?

-> Generally if you were going to paint plywood, you would use plywood

-> with a finished side.

Plywood was put down by the previous owners when they expanded the master bedroom. It's not exterior-grade quality, but it's not too bad. They carpeted over it, so it wasn't important then.

Reply to
Suzie-Q