Federal Pacific breakers

Incidently this is how I found my FPE breakers dont always trip.

turned off what I thought was the right breaker in the middle of a job, pushed the 2 wires together, they sparked, stuck together, and literally fried. length turned brite red and blew apart. the short loaded down the neighborhood, my neighbor was running a circular saw, it quit during the short. my neighbor saw the flash and came over and asked you still alive:( I was working in my garage, adding a outdoor light.

You try your best but when doing jobs things happen....

Reply to
hallerb

"Me too."

I've used the dead short method of touching a hot wire to a neutral, but see two problems with it:

- The wires weld together. Not badly, they can be pulled back apart with some force, but there is definitely some metal transfer that weakens at least one of the wire ends.

- The current is a quick spike of a couple hundred amps. This seems like an inadequate test of a 20A breaker -- you still don't know if it will trip at 25A as expected.

My understanding of fuses and breakers is that they typically will run at 110% of the rated capacity indefinitely, and trip at currents exceeding that. So to test a 20A breaker for instance, you would want to put a ~25A load (maybe two blowdryers on a heavy gauge extension cord) on it and wait for the trip. Any problems with this method (or is there a better one)?

It might take a while for the trip to happen... one of my books is showing that a typical 15A fuse will take 3.9 seconds to trip on 30A, and a full 31 seconds if it's a "time delay" type. Breakers have similar behavior: 150% of capacity will take a minute to cause a trip.

Reply to
chocolatemalt

You are certainly right about tripping being a function of load and time. To me it seems a little risky to use wiring, receptacles, and other devices of unknown integrity for load testing of suspected breakers. I would be inclined to remove the breaker and devise some sort of load with a 12 volt car battery. I think high beam headlamps take about 5 amperes each.

Reply to
Don Young

DONT use 12 V, dc is different, and test only at 120V

shorting out a 120 volt breaker on 12 volts may permanetely daage the breaker. DC can arc a lot

Note: FPE breakers are known for having once been tripped by a short they are 33% less likely to EVER trip again.

So load testing MIGHT be a bad idea.!

Reply to
hallerb

That's what you get for wiring the garage lights with 00 wire. :)

Reply to
clifto

posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.=20

One should be using a circuit breaker tester - yes they are made.

--=20 My boss said I was dumb and apathetic. I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

Reply to
Tekkie®