Faucet water won't run

I have a new one. I have old style American Standard valves on my tub in the bathroom (separate valves for hot and cold). About 6 months ago the cold water wouldn't run even after the stem was turned all the way out (on). After replacing the top-hat washer it ran a little bit. Then it started the same thing. I just repaced the entire stem assembly but I have the same problem. When I tighten the retaining nut down enough that the stem screw will turn properly (and not spin the whole barrel), the washer is apparently seated even when the stem is cranked all the way out (on), and no water will flow.

Any suggestion??? This is a weird one.

Reply to
wizard_chef

Yeah, the tophat stems are fun.

In this case, I would test flow with no stem. With the entire stem assy removed, gently turn the water supply back on. If you only get a dribble, there is a piece of rubber stuck on the *other* side of the seat.

If you do get a very strong stream, the fault is in the stem/tophat. Some new tophats are extremely stiff and don't work correctly.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You could have chunks of rust clogging the pipes. Have a helper turn on the water main while you hold a pail by the faucet (with the stems removed, or one stem at a time). Sometimes that will knock out chunks, other times you will have to remove pipes. This is just one possibility, there could be a faucet problem too.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff