Faraday bags and other scarey things

If you read

"How do keyless car thefts work?" (in the first post) the method gives the car the code from a legitimate fob at the time the theft takes place.

Rolling code? That is the code the car gets.

Reply to
bud--

That isn't possible with the rolling code system.

But it is different every time, that's where the name ROLLING comes from.

Reply to
chop

I have to chime in... as with everything technical or electronic, people have to know how these things work. With more knowledge they become less scary.

All keyless cars emitt a weak radio signal that shouldn't extend over

5-10 meters around the car. The idea is to 'trigger' the keyfob in your pocket as you approach your car.

Once your keyfob picks up the signal from the car, it sends back its own signal. This is how the 'greeting function' is realised. When you grab the door handle, the car senses it and sends a radio signal to the keyfob, which responds then. If the exchanged codes match, the car unlocks the door. Same happens when you press the START button.

On some keyfobs, you can see a small LED light up when it responds the car's signal.

The thieves abuse this systems be having a receiver next to your car and grabbing the door hanlde. This receiver picks up the signal of the car and relays it to a second device with has to be near your keyfob. This second device sends the relayed signal to your keyfob, which responds, thinking it heard the car's signal. And this answer gets relayed back to the first device near the car... and the car thinks, it got the answer from the keyfob ...

In essence, it is a design flaw (bug), becaus nobody thought about these relaying schemes ...

Reply to
DeepCore

"at the time the theft takes place"

You have not read the cited source or it is too difficult for you to understand.

When the scheme is being run it gets a 'fresh' rolling code from an authorized fob and sends it to the car.

Everyone seems to understand but you.

Reply to
bud--

Changes nothing.

You are just plain wrong about both.

Wrong.

Wrong.

If it was that easy, all cars with buttonless fobs would be stolen and that doesn't happen.

Reply to
chop

Proximity sensor, very short range.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If my car had a dead battery, I could unlock it with my real key and boot it up from my little lithium thing. Or at least get inside, out of the rain and snow.

Imagine freezing to death because your car won't let you in.

Reply to
John Larkin