Faraday cages

I want to turn my trailer into a large Faraday cage. The outside walls & roof are tin. How much foil do I need inside on the floors/walls & ceilings in order to get a true Faraday cage?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just make sure everything is electrically connected to everything else and you're golden. If the floor is non-metallic you might need to do something there...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Are you going to use battery power? Are there any wires going from inside to outside? Any wiring for lights, etc. Will have to be filtered or else you have defeated the cage. Any windows? Any air vents?

Are you trying to avoid static electricity or are you trying to contain rf energy?

A Faraday cage is not a trivial project.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Screened Rooms are a whole industry. There are filters for air, water, electricity and whatever you can AFFORD. :-?

Reply to
John G

Why use aluminum foil that's going to be opaque.

You can use a transparent material, like aluminum window screen mesh, as long as the spaces in the mesh are small compared to the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation you're wanting to block. That way, you can still enjoy natural light inside your trailer and look out the window to see if it's raining while still being able to block all Sunday morning Evangelical Christian radio and TV shows.

I have a Julio filter on my sound system's tuner. Whenever anything by Julio Iglesius comes on, it automatically changes the station.

Reply to
nestork

Heck, use electrically conductive paint then aluminum duct tape over all the cracks then grounded to everything else. Of course aluminum screen for the windows also wired to the other shielding material. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

All you needi s one of these

It will prevent any ungodly thoughts from enetering your brain.

Reply to
harryagain

I think using a colander on his head, or a tin foil hat would be easier. He's likely trying to keep the guvmint from reprogramming him.

Reply to
trader4

Can you still get metal collanders?

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember a website that was about some real experiments done by MIT students researching aluminum foil headgear to protect the brains of the paranoid. Funny thing happened, they discovered the foil hats actually enhanced certain frequencies used by government satellites. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Actually, the demons know how to aim them up under the edge of the thing.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

About 2sq.ft. Fold like a paper sail boat, and place over your head; shiny side out.

One layer of metal, any metal, is enough BUT it has to be connected continuously around all edges. No non-conductive gaps are allowed.

Reply to
krw

How much do you want to spend?

krw

I've worked in/on places like that, they use fiber for all the comms that pass through the metal shield. Not sure how they handle the one big honkin AC power line that by necessity goes through the shield. The nice lady in the camo uniform wouldn't let me wander off and look at stuff, although other than that she was friendly and pleasant.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I saw an interesting shielded room that was empty of obsolete systems and all the lines coming through through the walls were shielded in some way but I didn't get too close look at it because I was busy. It was back in 1988 when I was working for a contractor building the mission control center for the SDI (Star Wars) program at The Kwajalein Missile Range now known as Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site. I loved it out there in The Pacific and would have stayed as long as I could but left because of nasty smokers who were running things. I doubt that's happening these days because inhaling the byproducts of combustion to get a drug albeit legal and exposing others to the poison some must have a regular intervals has become socially unacceptable. I couldn't think of going back because age and disability have caught up with me but damn, I miss the place and the island lifestyle. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

four ways:

  1. for 'normal' screen rooms, use tubularly shaped [usually] RFI/EMI AC line filters
  2. for decent separation, use isolation-type transformer with primary on one side of boundary and secondary on second side of boundary and filter both boundary and lines to your heart's content.
  3. for really extreme, use relatively small diameter, non-conductive shaft to transfer energy via motor driving a generator. the rod goes through a tube that is more than twice as long as diameter and get decent shielding.
  4. for almost complete, fueled generator, with 'air' flow over broad areas through those hexagonal [beehive-looking] screen filters
Reply to
RobertMacy

Chris I don't know what you trying to do and I believe it is not for your self;

However trailer can be made very easily to block RFI, EMI, but as they say money makes world go around. For inside get aluminum sheeting 4'x8' overlap ' to 1' and screw it together, Doors you most use braided heavy cooper wire to ground all doors next to hinges. Power coming in can be done by grounding bank of capacitors with different range of capacity in order to cover broad range of frequencies on outside wall and inside, wires should go through metal pipe from connecting box outside to connecting box inside, also you can purchase Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor EMI RFI Clip Cable Filters with selective frequency that will limit interference with in their range, again same hook up precaution should be taking as with capacitors and both can be use spaced some what apart for better cleaning..

Good luck Tony

Tony944

RFI, yes. EMI, no.

probably up passed 100kHz magnetic fields will 'punch' right through that aluminum sheeting like it's barely there.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Just from practical experience I can say a garden variety aluminum frame screen cage with aluminum screen rolled in it is a pretty effective Faraday Cage. Radios and TVs will not work at all unless you have an external antenna or cable.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, Also there is conductive paint.

Reply to