Exterior paint

I haven't seen this discussed here and need some good words from you good folks. I'm building a new home about 3200 sq ft. cement block with stucco. I want to have it painted with a good paint but the prices are all over the place.

Any suggestions as to what brands I should consider, Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, Gladdens, Bear etc.???

Thanks for your replies, suggestions. Muff

Reply to
Muff

My favorite is Kelly Moore. I know many painters suggest it in the west. Since you are building a block home I figure you are in hurricane country. I have also heard painters claim Benjamin Moore is also good paint....my two cents....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

can't you find a tint color you like that can be blended into the mix for the stucco?

there are those who say paint is paint since most manufacturers produce for several companies, but that's as old as the saying motor oil is motor oil, it doesn't matter who makes it. now w/ that outta the way if you're going to paint over fresh stucco, use a good primer that can be colored or tinted toward the color of the paint you choose and use 2 coats of paint. any one of the names you posted are well known products and should get quality results from but i wouldn'ty use something like "Jim's" paint though. when i painted my house 10 years ago we painted over asbestos shingles and primed it first and used 2 coats of Sears WeatherBeater and if we hadn't covered it w/ vinyl it would still look great today.

mike.......

Reply to
JerseyMike

We use Benjamin Moore and Colombia paint on our higher paying jobs.

AZCraig

cm

Forget all the cheap paints. Good paint is expensive to make, and it will not be priced low. You may want to take a look at Consumer Reports magazine, but keep in mind paint formulas seem to change fast and I don't think they have a current review of outdoor paints.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

----cut------

"""""cut again'''''''

Putting color in stucco will take some planning. However if you color the stucco you will not have to paint for a long time, more than 10 years.

Paint on stucco is dicey at best, look at the chemistry on this. Here in Phoenix the Dunn-Edwards folks say that a stucco home needs to be primed then painted 2 coats, that will last about 5 years. Then you will paint again and that will last 7-10 years. Of course you have to re-prime and two coats of paint again. My homes complex is turning 6 years old and most of the homes exterior paint jobs look streaky and faded. I painted the exterior of my home this summer.

When compared to painting I would go for coloring the stucco every time if it was at all possible. After all they are only coloring the last two applications.

Reply to
SQLit

I painted my stucco house 15 years ago and now it is probably getting close to do it again. I used Kelly Moore exterior latex. Prep. was hosing and brushing. The wood trim was/ is more of an issue than the stucco.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hi, Buy the best paint for the job and that's only half the story. Do a good prep. and choose correct time to paint(when temp is not too hot or cool) Good luck, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks to all for the responses. Coloring the stucco is out as it is already on the house. I'm having the house painted by contract licensed painters and all suggest prime/seal then two coats paint sprayed on with the second coat rolled just after the spray on. Yea, I checked consumers report by I'm too cheap to sign up for their monthly charges.

I've narrowed my choice of paint down to Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

Several years ago Sears Weather beater would have been my choice but Sears changed the maker of their paint and the weather beater is now real thin just like the cheap paints. Hell almost could stand a brush up in the old stuff and it lasted for years. Gone are the good old days.

I'm in Tampa Florida and the sun beats the hell out of paint here.

Again thanks for the replies. Muff

Reply to
Muff

Some inexpensive paint is really not too bad, you just have to know which one is good. Certain line of Walmart and Sears for example are pretty good and usually one coat coverage. I usually buy 4 or more 5-gallon buckets at a time so knowing which cheap but good paint saves some money.

Reply to
Kimchee

Most public librarys have them available.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sherwin Williams Duration

Reply to