Expensive Plumber-Tell me if this isn't ridiculous

There are garage door outfits that operate the same way. They advertise cheap or free estimates and then they want $1000 to change some of the hardware on the door. I threw the guy out and had a new door installed for $600.

Reply to
Art

Maybe, this maybe that. Any plumber that would go to a residential job for a toilet complaint and does not have parts on the truck should not be doing the job anyway.

That is your guess. If he is running around that moch to do a small job, he is incompetant and should not do the job. This is a basic $80 to $100 job.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I have work done, I always ask for the rate before I have them roll a truck. Honest contractors charge by the hour with a minimum show up rate usually one hour. + Materials used.

Reply to
Terry

As long as the mechanic, plumber whatever clearly understands he is going to be giving an estimate before he wastes his time thinking he has a paying job.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

quoted text -

This company did "up-front pricing" which was good. They do this to give the homeowner a chance to say yes or no to the job up-front. I didn't like the price, felt it was extravagant, and he gave me an estimate with no problems.

Reply to
johnj7777

Around here it's more like: "Just getting someone to show up is a feat" (irregardles of the day of the week).

Reply to
scott21230