Ever-Popular Bathroom Window Dilemma

I love this group - it's so good for me, a budding do-it-yourselfer.

I've read through almost all previous postings on windows but I still feel like I haven't found good answers to my questions:

Option 1 - Existing I live in a 1920s brick cottage and I'm considering remodeling the bathroom. Right now it's galley style with a tall double hung window. The problem is that the window comes about 3 inches into the shower's space, so there isn't a good way to put up door or hang a shower curtain rod. I have a curved rod that makes a 90 degree angle back to the long wall but it's drooping down with the lack of support. Very unappealing. If anyone has another simple idea for this curtain/door/window problem please let me know.

Option 2 - Remodel Or, the second option is to reorient the shower to run along the rear wall; this puts the window inside the long wall of the shower. I love this idea because I would love large sliding glass doors to allow the light from the large window to come into the bathroom. However, this brings in the eternal window-in-shower question: I would love to maintain the character of the wooden-double hung window (my house is on the corner and this window is highly visible from the street). I don't think glass block would be aesthetically super, and I have similar problems with vinyl. Does anyone know of a good way to keep a wood-framed or wood casement window in this shower? What about boat paint? Is there a way to slightly angle the sill to facilate runoff? Or, if I did go with vinyl casement, how do you frame that in? With tile? And then you seal the joints with caulk?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reply to
StLouisSus

I say option 1. Leave the window alone and just put another hanger to hold up the corner of the curved rod so it won't droop. Something like this (although you don't have to pay $225 to get this one):

You will probably need two shower curtains, one at the end that just stays there all the time, and then a second one across the width of the tub that you push aside when you get in or out of the shower. You can cut the end one in half so that you don't have a full width shower curtain all bunched up in the small space at the end of the tub.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Ken,

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate the input.

However, if someone has an idea about how to best execute Option 2 I am very curious to know what you think. I would really like to know the best-case scenario from all of you experts out there! Changing the layout of the bathroom would really open up the shoulder room for the vanity area. I just want to make sure I know the best way to make it happen before I decide between the options.

Thanks again!

Reply to
StLouisSus

Window in shower is bad. May be other options. Need more info.

Reply to
Pat

Would it be possible to mount a piece of fixed glass in the opening? Window trim and sash will not do well in shower. TB

Reply to
tbasc

I'd go with Option #3 Brick up a portion of the opening and install a smaller window that does not intrude on the shower. Since the house is old, used brick will probably give the best match. It is also a good time to decide if a shorter window is better suited for the new bathroom.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

where option #2 is involved, i have seen folks hang a narrow shower curtain over the window, on a rod, when showering, to protect the wood and for privacy. then move it out of the window space so light will not be filtered.

Reply to
rosie read n' post