emergency milk

He already did the math, it's $3+ a gallon to use powdered. That's just a little more than regular make, based on what milk costs here. Poster didn't say where he lives, but in the USA paying that small premium for a dry product that saves a long trip sounds like an OK solution to me.

Reply to
trader_4

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966. That's the last time I saw a milkman.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My mother has milk and other dairy products delivered. Detroit suburbs.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Sure, just turn the clock back to 1966. That's the last time I saw a milkman.

===

WE are going to have one!!! Strutt!!! In glass bottles too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Reply to
Ophelia

We always had our milk delivered until 16 years ago when we moved here. At that time there still was a local milk delivery service but the charge was so high I didn't bother. The same local milk was sold cheaper in the local supermarket so eventually the dairy gave up home deliveries. Now it sells all the locally-produced milk to the icecream and cheese makers on the island. Wet milk comes from the mainland.

The house we live in was designed by a builder to please his wife. One of her requests was a walk-in cold pantry in the kitchen. On the (north-facing) outer wall of the pantry he made a small double- door access hatchway, the outer door was a ventilated wooden louvre and the inner one was a flyscreen. Both doors had springs. The milkman and butcher delivered goods through the hatch straight onto a marble slab in the pantry.

Janet UK

Reply to
Janet

Primeiro defina a "emergencia". Ai talvez alguem possa ajudar ... []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Reagan gave tons of it away during the "government cheese" days. (actually far more than just cheese) Maybe that is when they decided they could charge more.

Reply to
gfretwell

rbowman posted for all of us...

Uh, is this correct?

In PA milk is price controlled. I can never figure out why gasoline is cheaper than milk...

Reply to
Tekkie®

When my parents bought a house in 1969 there was a milk delivery service we tried for awhile, although the milk was frequently sour.

Then my mother got powdered milk for awhile, to save money. It tasted terrible.

UHT milk is something I've tried recently. Better than powdered, but not very good.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've seen hash brown potatoes in one of those. From a distance it looks like a pint of milk. It sort of reminds me of the milk they had in school (although those were half-pints, shorter cartons).

BTW, those cartons (school milk) were marked "h*mo milk". I was not familiar with that, since we had low-fat at home. I didn't know any use of "h*mo" then, so thought it was probably an advertisement "milk like you should be getting at home".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I think the world market is driving up the price of powdered milk since we are competing against countries like Canada and New Zealand. They already complain that we are "dumping" even at the current prices.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Carlos Eduardo Vieira" wrote in message news:pqtrg6$mvm$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org...

Powdered milk is always more expensive. I do buy it. Not much. Then again, I don't use much milk ever. You can also get shelf stable in a box, Dollar Tree sells it.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Not all Walmart meat is that way. They have been selling grass fed beef, organic and non-organic for some time now.

Reply to
Julie Bove

We had that too, most of the time. It was cheaper back then. It's not now. Not here anyway. I've always hated to drink milk but the powdered was really yucky. I don't mind using it in cooking though.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Okay. I haven't been in a Walmart this year iirc. It's my store of last resort if I can't find an item locally. Even then it's usually a brief stop on the way to Amazon. The few times I wandered to the grocery section I wasn't impressed.

Reply to
rbowman

If you are buying packaged and canned food, Walmart is OK. You might even save a few cents but the meat and produce seems to suck. I buy car/boat batteries at Walmart and dog treats, maybe something from the garden center. That is about it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Back in the day I used it to make yogurt from a recipe gleaned from the Whole Earth Catalog. It wasn't bad but I doubt it would be worthwhile now when everybody and their cousin is making yogurt and one brand or the other is always on sale.

That's the best one I found. It wasn't cheap and it was off the market for a while.

Reply to
rbowman

I would venture to guess most places no longer have a milkman. We still have one here. The problem is, they have a minimum order and even though they do deliver other goods as well, we just didn't need enough of what they sold. Some of what they sell costs more than I'm willing to spend.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Reply to
Julie Bove

Oops. Sent blank post. We have them here.

Julie Bove