Electrical Question???

What would be a good price to pay to an electrician for installing 2 outdoor motion activated flood lights, one on the back of the house and one on the side with the garage? the wiring would have to be run to that location, and a switch as well to control it.[

Reply to
fish

What would be a good price to pay to an electrician for installing 2 outdoor motion activated flood lights, one on the back of the house and one on the side with the garage? the wiring would have to be run to that location, and a switch as well to control it.[

Reply to
fish

About $60 to $75 an hour, depending on location. Not enough info to say how many hours. Could be a 1 hour job, cold be 5 hours. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

buffalobill

Your questions should be:

1) "How can I find a good electrician that will do a quality job and show up at the scheduled time?" 2) "If something is broken when he takes it out of the box, or doesn't work, should I pay him to stand around while I go to the store to exchange it, or should I just pay him to go buy the brand he normally installs?" 3) "If a fixture fails in two weeks, should I pay him to come back, or just replace it myself?"
Reply to
Bob

No way to know. It could be a couple hours if there are appropriate circuits available where you want the lights; it could be a couple days if he has to run new circuits and there is no good way to route them.

I put one in two years ago. The instructions said a switch was required, but it would have been a lot of work and I didn't want one anyhow, so I left it out. It works fine; don't know why they say one is required. YMMV

Reply to
Toller

Some units give you the option to temporarily disable the motion detector and force the light to stay on by flipping the switch off and back on within

2 or 3 seconds or some such.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

In addition, after a power outage, some of them keep the light lit, and you have to turn the switch off for about 90 seconds to reset it.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for all the replys, i never thought about some of those switch features and they sound good.

I am guessing that a rate of about $40.00 /hour is a reasonable rate to pay for this job.

Reply to
fish

Reply to
Paul Min