Electrical Question

This isn't about repairing anything but don't know where to look for answer.

The electric rates where I live are going to rise after first of year and I am trying to come up with new ways to cut back on usage. I only use my range oven for things like frozen french fries and I was thinking about getting a toaster oven (my toaster is old) that sits on the countertop. We have builtin microwave. Do the toaster ovens (convection) save on electricity? The ad doesn't say what the wattage is but most I've looked at were 1200 to 1500 watts....so I'm not sure they are cheaper to use. Appreciate opinions please.

Reply to
Dorot29701

Watts through time is your issue. Toaster oven is 1500 watts the lower element on the stove is ~3000 watts. So if you can run the oven for about 1/2 the time of the toaster oven then your close to the same cost. Except that you spent $$ for the toaster oven. How long will it take to make up the $$ spent on the toaster oven?

This certainly would not be where I would start looking to conserve electricity. Besides I use my gas grill for the frozen French fries. I have a plate for veggies (with holes in it) works fine.

Reply to
SQLit

There are other factors to consider. Are you heating your house? If so, the heat from the oven will dissipate in the house meaning the central heater will run less, thus offsetting much of the cost of the oven heat. Electric is usually more expensive than other methods, but better than wasting it. In the summer, using the big oven that running the AC to remove heat is costly.

Same is true with light bulbs. It is more shifting the cost from the central heat tot he lights for actual heat used. Using lower wattage or using compact fluorescents saves on electric, but not entirely as the heat loss is lost. Summer is a different story.

The toaster oven is probably going to heat a but faster due to the smaller size, but in the end, there is minimal savings.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes.

To save more, first use the microvave, then toaster oven to brown.

Also get new "Energy Star" appliances, heating, air conditioning, etc. More info on saving energy here...

Bill

To cut you over all consumption look for items with better return. Replace existing light bulbs with compact florescent bulbs - will cut lighting costs by up to 75% or 25% of total energy usage. go to

TAB Dude

Reply to
TAB Dude

Replace your incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents.

Reply to
Doug Miller