Electric wireing

We have a lamp that suddenly stopped working. I figured a short somewhere c ause the bulb would go on an off on its own. The same thing would happen wh en i tried other bulbs. I wanted to get rid of it and not waste time on it, but the wife loves it for sentimental reasons. I took it apart and there i s shown 4 wires...a pair of each going to the screws of the socket. The pro blem is that they are short that it would be a problem to attach them to th e screws, maybe that was why it shorted? Anyhow I had the same extra wire a nd cut off 4 strips to add to each of those wires with tape, but it was awk ward to say the least. Is there anyone here that knows a way around this, o ther than discarding it? LOL BTW, the addition also could not be long cause it has to be cradeled into that socket and there would hardly be any room for long wiring. Also, out of curiousity, can one use a 3 way bulb into a l amp made for single light?

Reply to
Frank

cause the bulb would go on an off on its own. The same thing would happen when i tried other bulbs. I wanted to get rid of it and not waste time on i t, but the wife loves it for sentimental reasons. I took it apart and there is shown 4 wires...a pair of each going to the screws of the socket. The p roblem is that they are short that it would be a problem to attach them to the screws, maybe that was why it shorted? Anyhow I had the same extra wire and cut off 4 strips to add to each of those wires with tape, but it was a wkward to say the least. Is there anyone here that knows a way around this, other than discarding it? LOL BTW, the addition also could not be long cau se it has to be cradeled into that socket and there would hardly be any roo m for long wiring. Also, out of curiousity, can one use a 3 way bulb into a lamp made for single light?

*Usually you can pull some cord slack back through the lamp to have enough length to attach to the screws. Then you just pull the cord back to attach the socket.

I don't know why you have four wires unless there is more than one socket.

You can use a 3-way bulb in a single socket. Only one filament will light.

Reply to
John G

[...]

First, please research the electrical terms "short" and "open". Then, get back to me about the lamp.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That would be an "open", not a "short". A short is connecting the hot side directly to the ground resulting in spitzen-sparkzen and occasionally tripped breakers and the like.

An open is a break in a conductor or loose connection or the like that may, as in your case, be an intermittent condition.

a) just rewire the whole thing with new cord unless you can find the location of the break at or near one end and shorten the existing cord.

b) 3-way bulb will only work, certainly, but on only one level without a

3-way base. You could, of course, also replace the base with a 3-way one while you're replacing the cord.

BTW, do _NOT_ make a splice here; that's dangerous and certainly not just with tape as you mentioned...

Reply to
dpb

Since the socket and switch assembly is bad and you have to replace it...the answer is "yes" you can replace it with a three way switch/socket assembly.

Note: The three way bulb may be larger than the original so be sure to verify a three way bulb would fit. (I would not go over the original wattage)

As far as the wires being too short, rather than splice and lengthen, I'd replace all entirely. I'd basically replace /all/ wiring including the cord and rebuilt the lamp completely.

Reply to
philo

Seymore4Head

[...]

Thanks, I forgot to mention that there is another night light on the bottom of the lamp that turns on when i turn off the main light. As for the other party that suggested that i pull out the wire altogether and just replace it. If I did that i would have to get rid of the bottom socket where the co nnections come from for both lights. Perhaps I could do that, but that mean s i have to replace that special socket at that same size in order to fit i n that special opening...who knows if it even exists anymore or then we may be getting into an increase of cost to make it worth while.

Reply to
Frank

On 12/27/2014 11:26 AM, Frank wrote: ...

Well, it's hard to put a price on the sentimental value...nothing says you can't re-use the lower socket if re-wire, presuming it's still sound (and if it isn't the whole lamp is dangerous, anyway).

But, w/o picture or other way to actually see it or another like it, advice is pretty much limited to the generic...

Reply to
dpb

First of all - you did NOT have a short. I can guarantee that 100%. A short would trip your breaker/blow your fuse or burn off the wire. You most likely had an iontermittent open. You should have an electrician or savvy handyman rewire the lamp for you. Someone who understands electricity.

And yes, generally you CAN install a tri-light bulb in a standard fixture but you only get one setting.

Reply to
clare

Get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it for you. Less than a half hour job on any lamp I have ever re-wired. And sometimes that includes a trip to the local hardware to get a new part.

Reply to
clare

Now that you've unwired it you will need to fix it correctly.

But you probably didn't have to do that.

Most of the time when a lamp starts working erratically, it's because the little tab that makes contact with the center of the base of the bulb got bent down. That's easy to do if you screw a bulb in too far.

Most likely all you needed to do was bend that little tab up.

Reply to
TimR

I wasn't going to say anything until he posted ten times, and sent pictures on flickr.