Electric Stove Goes High Heat Only

One of the electric stove heating elements on my Admiral stovetop goes to high heat the moment I turn the knob on, even I set it to a low setting. It almost seems that if there is a variable pot or rheostat on the circuit, it is not working and the heating element receives full power as soon as it is switched on. The other 3 elements are working fine, so whatever the problem is is confined to this unit. Perhaps the knob is just inserted the wrong way.

However, not being familiar with electric stove repair, I was wondering if there is a fix to this that I can do on my own. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

ftt

Reply to
Filipo

I assume that this stove is less than 20 years old, in which case it surely has "infinitely variable" controls. You need a new control. It will cost a chunk of money, like $40 or so, but it is probably worth it. On the other hand I bought a new stovetop on ebay for $85 including shipping.

Reply to
donald girod

Here is a website that might help:

You could determine the make and model of the range that you have and go to a website and find the surface element control for it and probably purchase it online. Turn the range circuit off in the panel before working on the range. You might even be able to fix the control that you have. You will have to take it apart and see just what happened inside.

Reply to
indago

Filipo

There are no rheostats used on electric ranges. There are various types of element controls used, the most popular being an "infinite heat switch". If you have an Adobe Acrobat .PDF file viewer, you can read how they work at the following link.

How an electric range infinite heat switch works

In any case, the control switch for that burner likely needs to be replaced.

Replacing a surface element switch is usually not too difficult and most reasonably handy person's should be able to it. Most replacement switches come with installation instructions.

You can see a couple of 'universal' infinite heat switches at the following links:

'Push to Turn' Surface Element Switch -

Regular Surface Element Switch
Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi,

*Sounds* like the surface switch control is welded closed and stuck on high only....
info.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff