electric stove burner always on

I purchased a used flat-top electric stove. One of the burns is always on even when the knob is in the off position. How do I go about diagnosing and fixing the problem? Thanks!

Reply to
William.Deans

Only thing feasible is the switch isn't turning off -- simple enough to do a continuity check on it and replace it.

--

Reply to
dpb

Take a close look at the electrical diagram and how the suspect switch is wired. The wires are color coded. Check connections. Inpect the switch for crud. Look for damage at the contacts under magnification. Remove one leg of the switch and test for continuity. Can't hurt to disconnect the burner that is Always On til you can get a round 2 it.

Reply to
Phisherman

The one and only correct way to fix an electric range is as follows:

- Unplug the range

- Remove all burners

- Remove all burner controls mechanisms

- Replace burner coils with gas burners

- Replace burner controls with gas valves

- Plumb gas pipe to unit and within unit

- Actually enjoy cooking from now on

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Phisherman / dpb - I will do as you suggest and report back. Thank you! DerbyDad03 - This is for a rental property. The stove is a flat-top which is easy to clean when I get the property back. I do not want a hard to clean gas stove.

Reply to
William.Deans

Those kinds of stoves are easy to clean when the glass is intact. What will you do when your tenants crack the glass surface by dropping pans or other heavy items on it? Those things are expensive to repair/replace!

Reply to
KLS

Follow up with Final Solution:

I swapped out the switch from the always-on burner and a switch from a properly functioning burner. The problem persisted so it wasn't the switch. I took a look at the other parts it could be and determined no matter which it was I it was going to be cheaper to discard the stove and purchase a new used stove. This is what I did. I purchased a coil burner as per the suggestion of KLS.

Reply to
William.Deans

for future reference,

the burners are sometimes fed 240 volts, 120 at each end... and the switch opens only one lead which will normally turn off the burner,,,, but if there is a SHORT to ground in the heating element itself, that will complete the circuit even with the switch off, it can be very dangerous.

Mark

Mark

Reply to
makolber