Electric saw on a pole for pruning trees

I have a few dead branches in one of my 50-year old maple trees. Rather than climbing up on a very tall ladder to access the branches, I am thinking about renting an electric saw on a pole to do the job.

I am fairly handy and always do my own tree stuff, but this would be a new experience for me and I am looking for some ideas and thoughts from the folks here who maybe have used such a tool.

Polite comments please.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I took down an entire cherry tree, higher than 2 story house, down to

6 feet of stump, 26 inches in diameter, with nothing but an electric pole saw and a 10 foot step ladder.
Reply to
clare

Had sim concerns. My Fiskar pole pruner blade dulled, and all the blades I got from Amazon weren't exactly the same. I get quotes of five grand per tree for pros to cut or trim.

FOund that in 1960s they proposed using lasers for pruning. I guess you could get a laser for $100 and put it on a pole, provided the cord doesn't exacerbate things. It's time for some innovation here.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Reply to
vjp2.at

OK, then I won't complain about paying $400 for my tree. How big are the 5 grand ones?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

the GM "Futurama" exhibit at the Queens World's Fair in 1964/65 had a diorama type exhibit portraying lasers yes, cutting trees...

*whew*, I remember that from five decades ago but what did I have for breakfast?
Reply to
danny burstein

Ain't that the truth! I had a diseased maple cut down in my front yard, October 2016, for $650. That included the stump ground up and of course all the debris removed.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Prunes?

:-))

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I have one. The trick is getting in position so you can drop the saw on the limb you are cutting and not being under it when it falls. The weight of the saw does the work. Assuming you don't get hit by the limb the next worst thing is it twists and jams the saw up in the tree. It is best to take little bites so you can wiggle the saw loose.

Reply to
gfretwell

I grew up 1 block away from the 64/65 Worlld's Fair.

For 2 years prior to the opening I listened to them pound piles into the swamps of what is now Flushing Meadows Park so they could build the exhibits.

We got our revenge by spending the next 2 years sneaking into the fair through holes we cut in the fence.

Years later I worked I worked in the park, driving a "train" that took people from the boat house to the zoo and Shea Stafium, home of the Mets.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But not for $100. My husband has a degree in electro-optics, and has been working with lasers all his career. His first jobs was with industrial lasers. He says "Unlikely it would work, and the FAA would have something to say about it."

Full credit for imaginative thinking, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You should have swiped one of the Amphicars...

Reply to
danny burstein

jethro

I have one and it works very well. I've used the gas model with the engine on the bottom. These units are very awkward and there is little weight to push the chain through the branch. With the electric, the motor is at the end of the "stick", so the extra weight up top helps to push the chain through the branch.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I've been using a Black & Decker 18v model. I guess the new ones are "20" volt. Anyhow, compared to using the Fiskar manual blade, this thing was a lifesaver. Much more work in the same amount of time, and a lot less tiring. I got mine from Amazon.

My Amazon reviews:

B&D:

Fiskar:

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper

I had 2 maples and a flowering crab pruned and it cost me $600. They didn't do it to my satisfaction so they had to come back and finish the job.

Reply to
clare

I went to that. Traveled from CA to NY when I was 14 yrs old. Didn't see tha "amphicar" rides, but saw the Mopar Turbine Car. Amphicars are still around. Try and find a turbine powered car. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

This one looks kind of neat:

No reviews yet, so I presume it is a new model.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I bought one of the 120 volt AC pole saws. I think it is a Remington. The saw will come off if I want to use it without the pole. Works well. My problem is that if I extend it out all the weight makes it hard for me to hold. I am not sure how it would work, but I think a handle sticking down about 2 or 3 feet from the end with a switch on it would make it easier to use.

I later bought one of the Harbor Freight $ 88 generators to use it when I was away from the house. That works out well except I am almost wore out by the time I get that generator started. The little generator has a reputation of being hard to start. I even changed to a 'quality' spark plug as recommended on one of the Youtube videos.

Do buy some kind of eye protection that wraps around your eyes so the wood chips don't get in the eyes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yeah, me too, I worked at the Fair during the 1964 season!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I remember seeing you there playing with the touch tone phone at the Bell Telephone display.

I did see a turbine car on TV a while back. Forget the details, but I think it is the only one left.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski