Question on pruning maple seedling

I have a 18" maple seedling that I transplanted last summer from my old home to my new home. It's from a fantastic maple that covered the entire back yard, & the seedling started naturally under my picnic table. The original tree is about 40' tall. Zone 4.

However, it's a Y shaped seedling. My questions are:

1) Do I let it continue to grow as a Y, or do I remove one of the branches? 2) If I remove one of the branches, what season, & how old should the tree be? Will the remaining branch grow vertically, or continue growing at an angle?
Reply to
Darryl

If it was mine, I'd take out one fork and stake the other to train it as straight as possible. My next door neighbor had 1/2 of a 40 year old maple come down this past summer with the Y about 4 feet above the ground. That is now one ragged looking tree.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J