Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

Oh yeah? And I suppose you totally ignore your local ordinances, don't you? I have to wonder if you didn't get dinged for it, too since you consider it such a great, wonderful thing and assumed on your own that it's what the OP had. You become more of a dunce with every post I see of yours. You're a real troll, I guess.

Nonsense is right; it's extremely easy to misinstall something; I've seen it time after time and luckily always caught it but - it's amazing the kinds of mistakes even electricians can make. They work drunk, hung over and worse sometimes, especially in Chgo when we lived there. I had one inspector out to get one guy fired at one install. Hmm, that wasn't you, was it?

I never said that wasn't so. People commonly refer to several different numbers they see on their equipment. You're a myopic egotist from the look of it; you post just to see yourself in writing.

See, there's your assumptions again, and stated as a fact this time, which makes it a lie. So now you're a liar, on top of everything else. You're getting to be fun.

No, it's not false; you are seriously misinformed of the dangers of such circuits. This is an exposure of an ignorance that plummets your credibility even further than it has been. Such a ckt could only ever be "safe" if it could never develop a fault; which it can, on top of miswiring and other possibilities you'd know if you actually knew much about it. Knowing a buzz word doesn't make you an expert in any way. Look it up.

And that has nothing to do with national vs. local codes.

Until a fault arises. Neutral pops off a stressed outlet with a poor mechanical connect, improperly protected by a ganged breaker, etc. etc. etc.. It's much more dangerous than other ckts given even the same faults in many instances. Your ignorance must really be bliss. ALL of the following make perfect sense and come from the first page of google hits. Audiophiles just abhor them!

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

No, the opportunties for such ckt is exponentially above the others.

Reply to
Twayne

"Twayne" wrote

Twayne, you lose and your best 'response' is childish insults.

Fortunately the guy listened to the rest and got in an electricain as the rest of us were telling him to do.

You are dangerous.

Reply to
cshenk

So what breaker DO you use for a split receptacle if not a "ganged" breaker????

Is it just a terminology thing, or are there two commonly available dual-cuircuit breakers ?

Reply to
clare

That's not the reason for our disagreement, you ass. I never suggested anyone should ignore local ordinances. We disagree because you claim that multiwire branch circuits are inherently dangerous -- and that just isn't true.

[snip]

Please explain how you can misinstall a double-pole breaker.

No, you just kept referring to the wrong voltages -- more evidence that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, so you *have* read the Code then? How come you didn't know that it permitted multiwire branch circuits? Why did you claim it prohibited them?

You are the *only* person in this thread making this claim. Edison circuits are explicitly permitted by the NEC, and -- subject to correction by our friends north of the border -- I believe explicity *required* by the CEC for kitchen appliance circuits.

These facts together suggest to any thinking person that you are mistaken.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Only for the incompetent -- which explains why you think they're dangerous.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, he is "off the bat". For one thing, there is technically no such thing as a "ganged breaker" - they are technically Double Pole

-"common trip" breakers - and if one side trips, unless someone has tampered and put some kind of restraint on it, BOTH sides WILL trip. If they don't, the breaker is defective.

There are also Twin breakers - or "thin-twins" that are NOT linked, and NOT common trip, and can NOT be installed to supply 220 (or 230 or

240, whatever you want to cal it) They are supplied to get more circuits into a panel and are illegat to use on split receptacles or "edison" circuits under NEC2008.
Reply to
clare

That doesn't say much for your breaker or your ground.

Glad you found the problem.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I doubt Canadian breakers are different from US ones.

Because breakers are "trip free" there is not much force available to trip a handle-tied breaker - or for 3 phase, 2 other handle-tied breakers.

I presume you saw this is separate breakers that have been handle-tied. Multipole breakers have an internal common trip [actually some don't and are marked].

====================

UL 1459 is "Telephone Equipment"

Circuit breakers in this thread are UL 489, "Molded-Case Circuit Breakers, Molded-Case Switches and Circuit Breaker Enclosures"

Provide manufacturers instructions that agree with you.

Complete nonsense for both multipole and handle-tied breakers.

I assume you are talking about multipole breakers. There is no problem. Each pole has a trip element. If one pole trips the other poles are tripped mechanically. Nothing is impeded.

Complete nonsense.

As clare says these breakers are used for Canadian split wired kitchen outlets, and they are now required on US multiwire (Edison) circuits.

And as clare says, "ganged breaker" has no clear meaning.

The current - time curve is for each trip element, which should be obvious.

Twayne continues to be out of touch with reality.

Reply to
bud--

Google is not always your friend. Some links are totally irrelevant. All other concerns are addressed by changes in the 2008 NEC.

Maybe if you read and understood the links....

But your ignorance is bliss.

Your link does not support that.

And audiophiles also like gold plated speaker wire.

which addressees any problem in this link. And a competent electrician will verify all wires in an enclosure are dead. This is rather easily done with a "non-contact" voltage indicator.

required starting in the 2008 NEC. In some cases it was required before that.

Totally irrelevant - nothing on "Edison circuits". Talks about "Edison base" fuses and circuit breakers that screw into those fuseholders.

Repeat of the irrelevant link above.

Just continued delusions about multiwire branch circuits (Edison circuits).

Maybe you could write a code change proposal. I am sure it would get the appropriate consideration.

Reply to
bud--