Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

Actually, it's much more likely to mean hysterisis heating. But you wouldn't know that. Stick to giving advice on subjects you know something about (if there are any). This isn't one of them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Twayne, you have no idea what you're talking about. Google "Edison circuit" or "multiwire branch circuit", and stop giving electrical advice. You're completely ignorant.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course you can't cite it -- because (a) you don't know anything about electricity, (b) you don't know the Code, and (c) it's not a Code violation.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't have to. Everything still stands as written in its entirety.

Reply to
Twayne

Hmm. Refuses to go research the subject he's advising. Why am I not reassured?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then perhaps you can cite something. Show me an Edison ckt in the NEC. Or even in your local code books; I'm not fussy.

Reply to
Twayne

Got reiteritus? Can't recall what you've already said? What about an Edison ckt would you like to discuss? DC? AC? Audio noise? Symmetry? Doubling the power of a 120Vac ckt? Where the number of neutrals define such a ckt? Transverse & longitudinal loading? Maybe Differential mode? RF filtering? The inherent dangers of working on an Edison ckt? Live Neutral, dead Hot? Something in the ESH bulletins? Physics, so far, still holds on this world and certain things are just going to happen based on other things. They all fit and are part of it. Because you're too thick to understand the dangers of the OP's situation is your problem, not mine. Edison ckts are inherently dangerous to humans working on them and when you consider the other angles of the op's query, he's in a rather dangerous situation. So I'd suggest that you are the one who needs to spend some time in research to determine what your reaility really is. Then of course you should stop trolling as food if going to become very scarce and you'll never find a way to overcome your impotence here. If ignorance is bliss, I see you must be a very happy person.

Reply to
Twayne

It is only the ignorant who decide what has not been displayed to them or proven in any way. Your opinion does not create fact regadless of your god-spam.

Reply to
Twayne

You need to: A) Start taking your prescription meds again or B) Stop self medicating.

Reply to
Metspitzer

,

on.- Hide quoted text -

Forget the insults. Something (anything) getting hot, as described, IS NOT SAFE; whatever the reason. And since none of us are there to see/check this either IS a troll or the OP hasn't bothered to check back. Almost impossible to diagnose by long distance. Just hoping if this not a troll there will not be tragedy.

Not only not safe but some possibility electricity is being expensively wasted! e.g going to ground????

BTW since this thread started we have, in this particular province of Canada with a population of just over 500,000 persons had one (electrical they think) fire that rendered a family's house uninhabitable. Smoke damage etc. also ruined some/most of their Christmas gifts.

In the meantime in another instance, a few weeks ago, a family who were building a new home behind their existing but old home in a small community had a fire (cause unknown but possibly electrical, in the 'old' house ). Following that many members of the community (plumbers, carpenters, electricians etc.) are there on a volunteer basis over the Christmas and New Year period helping to finish the new house to a stage that is habitable. Was on local news with thanks to all those helping out.

Reply to
terry

Stop making a fool of yourself and calling others, who are correct, trolls. The NEC is not readily available online because they charge for it and since on one else here is arguing Edison circuits are code violation, YOU should do the search and you will learn. Just do a google of this newsgroup and you will see many discussions on 120V Edison circuits, which have been allowed under the NEC for a long time. There was one here just a couple weeks ago.

In the last couple years, the code was revised so that the breakers on the two legs must be tied together, Googling in the newsgroup will show agreement to the above, including several licensed electricians. Or you can go google Edison circuit on the web and find plenty of info that shows it is allowed.

Reply to
trader4

After filtering out all the total nonsense that you just interjected into the discussion, you've finally hit on one thing that has some truth. I agree, Edison circuits can be more dangerous for those working on them, mainly those who have limited experience with electricity. That is why the NEC now requires the breakers be interconnected so one cannot be on without the other.

However the above is very different from coming in here calling Doug a troll and claiming that 120V edison circuits are not allowed under the NEC. That is totally wrong and shows that you are in fact clueless. Do you see anyone else in this thread agreeing with you on that claim? Hmmm? And I'd say someone clueless pretending to know what he's talking about is far more dangerous than an Edison circuit.

Reply to
trader4

What he is describing is an Edsion circuit, aka shared neutral, and it is completely compliant with the current code. Why not spend 5 mins googling, instead of continuing to make an ass of yourself?

Uh, huh and you will also measure 120V between either hot and the shared neutrals. Which is why it's an Edison circuit.

If that were true, the same problem would exist with ANY double ganged breaker, regardless of what it is hooked to.

And now you've just told him to take an Edison circuit that completely conforms to the current NEC and change it into one that does not. Also, I'd say it's reckless to be telling him to change ANYTHING until a qualified electrician actuall goes there and figures out what is wrong.

Clearly you're confused on this too. He made it clear the portable hot tub is 120V, 20amps. Ever see a 220V hot tub that was only

20amps?

And even more stupidity. An Edison circuit, completely conforming to the current NEC sure as hell doesn't explain what he is observing. And again, suggesting that the simple cure is go to two seperate breakers to fix a a serious fire hazard is stupid and reckless. Let's add in that you didn't even tell him that if he screws around with the existing ganged breakers he needs to make sure he keeps the two breakers on OPPOSiITE phases or he will most definitely have changed a code compliant Edison circuite into a fire trap.

Bottom line, once again, this guy needs to get a pro in and stop listening to clueless posters who won't even do a simple google to learn what an Edison circuit is.

Reply to
trader4

Twayne, why is it that there is not a single poster in this thread that agrees with you that an Edison circuit with ganged breakers is not code compliant? And facing that, why is it that you expect us to do the simple googling that proves you are wrong. In fact, your continued ranting and attacks, while handing out dangerous advice, shows that you're not just wrong, but a complete imbecile.

Reply to
trader4

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a ganged 20A breaker to power two

120V circuits -- as you would learn if you took the time to educate yourself.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Here you go. The 2008 NEC is online at

Multiwire branch circuits (aka Edison circuits) are described in Article 210.4

Reply to
Doug Miller

Actually, it is.

2008 NEC is at
NEC is at
Doug Miller

Twayne, the more you post on this topic, the more you look like an idiot. Read the thread from the very beginning. *My* first post in the thread was maybe the third response the OP received -- and the first four words of that post are "Call an electrician NOW".

I understand the dangers of the OP's situation just fine -- what you fail to understand is that there is no reason at all to suppose that his problems are in any way related to an Edison circuit.

If you knew anything at all about the subject, you would know that's not true. Tell me this: if Edison circuits are "inherently dangerous", why are they permitted under both the NEC and the CEC?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course it is -- which is why I told the OP, shortly after he posted this, to "Call an electrician NOW". I hope he took that advice.

Reply to
Doug Miller

*The OP said a double breaker. Since he is not an electrican that could mean a two pole breaker or a twin breaker. A twin breaker has both loads connected to the same buss and requires separate neutrals. If he has one neutral for both loads on a twin breaker it can get very hot depending on the loads and would not trip a breaker.

I agree that a pro is the best way to go, but some people will insist on doing things themselves. I apologize for trying to be helpful.

Reply to
John Grabowski