Edge between quarter round and new hardwood floor

I just had glue-down prefinished hardwood flooring installed in a good part of my home. Quarter round was added and attached to the existing baseboards- both quarter round and baseboards are painted white.

In some areas, a gap between the quarter round and flooring is visible. While this could be a fault of the installer, they did a wonderful job on everything else, and I tend to think it is related to the fact that none of the walls in the house are the slightest bit straight (very poor recent Florida construction.)

I tried to caulk this joint but it quickly became a mess- maybe I just don't know how to caulk correctly but it seems rather impossible to get a nice clean line, especially since the caulk line is very visible against the darker wood floor.

What is the solution? Is it customary to caulk this joint between the hardwood floor and the shoe moulding? Or, does a person just deal with the occasional gaps that exist between the shoe and the flooring?

Thanks ahead of time Brian

Reply to
B Young

This is one of those things where the fix will look worse than the problem 90% of the time. And as time passes, you will notice it less and less unless you keep *looking* for it. Stop that!

Old saying in my family (and maybe lots of other families?) which is probably considered politically incorrect these days, but who cares. There is no disrespect meant, so here it is: "A blind man would be glad to see it."

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

"Izheet" is right. But if you insist, go to Home Depot or Lowes for some non-wooden quarter-round that is slightly more flexible and will conform to the crooked floor. It's a plastic-y fiberous composite material that looks quite decent. Pre-paint it, then install.

-B

That's why I prefer to nail the quarter round to the floor, not the baseboard.

Reply to
jstp

Yeah, okay... I think you guys are right. I did some of the finishing work on the trim last night... filling nail holes and caulking the top side between the quarter round and the baseboard. As a whole now it doesn't appear to be a big deal. Being an perfectionist isn't such a good trait when doing home repairs. Thanks for the advice-

Brian

Reply to
B Young