Ducts in attic and adding insulation

I have a single story house built on a slab with a furnace (actually a heat pump) roughly in the center of the house. The main supply and return ducts go up thru the ceiling and into the attic. These are wrapped with some foil faced insulation and project up into the attic maybe two feet. Then there is the expected octopus of flex ducts connected to these mains and running out to all the vents.

The flex ducts are the insulated type and once they get a few feet from the connection to the main, they drop down to run on top of the joists and are burried in the loose fill insulation.

While this setup is about as good as it can be, I've been thinking about adding some insulation to that central distribution point, or the hub of the octopus if you will, since that is the duct insulation alone exposed to the attic. I've thought about just blowing in some extra loose fill, just heaping it around and on top of the hub, but was wondering if someone had done this before and had come up with an easier way.

As it turns out, while there might be 8" or more of loose fill insulation in the attic, some places have more than others. Rather than get up there with a rake and even it all out, I have considered just blowing some more into the low spots and leveling it out to maybe

12". So I'd have the blower and bags of the inulation on hand anyway for tackling the duct distribution if there isn't a better way to do it.

Christopher

Reply to
blickcd

Cshenk

wrote

Hi Christopher. I didnt see anyone respond to this so I'll take a trial stab?

I dont think I'd use a rake. It sounds like you might accidently hit some wiring up there that way and do damage.

I think the easiest way is to roll out those sheets over the existing stuff but that may not be the cheapest option.

Reply to
Cshenk