Drywall Crack

I have a crack in my drywall that is about 12 x 12 inches.

I have patched it before, and it is back.

Is there anyway to repair this, or do I need to learn to live with it?

Thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

On Fri 27 Nov 2009 08:19:04p, Kate told us...

12 x 12 inches sounds like a one square foot hole, not a crack. Could you be more specific? What did you repair it with before?
Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

It is appx. 12 inches long, and 12 inches wide. The hairline crack is shaped like an L.

Before, I used a putty type substance that was rubbery. I thought it would take the movement in the wall. I can't remember the name of the product.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

On Sat 28 Nov 2009 12:46:28a, Kate told us...

Ok, you could make a drywall mesh repair. The mesh tape self-adheres to the drywall which you cut to cover the crack to be patched. Using several light coats of drywall compound, sanding lightly in between and feathering the edges to blend with the drywall surface. Using the mesh will normally prevent any crack from reappearing.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If it is a 12X12 patch that is cracking repeatedly you should take it apart to find out why...Piling more mesh or tape and mud on top of it will just make a hump in the wall and it will crack again...Can you post a pic ???

Reply to
benick

I have lots of cracks in mesh tape. The wall boards are not set properly, that is, screws put in too deep, allowing the drywall joints to flex. Ongoing project to repair.

We need a picture to get a better understanding of the issue. Is it near a window or doorway? L shaped is very odd.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Michael Dobony wrote: ...

Why say that? More than likely telegraphing location of the corner of the sheet as whatever it is the bulk of the sheet is fastened to settled.

The more key question is why it's still moving and reopening the same crack...

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree, the L shape implies bad install at window or door. One other: a patch back when that did not have proper backing.

Reply to
DanG

A photo will show this if it is perfectly straight and square. I have seen straight and angled cracks, but rarely l shaped. When I do see it it is usually improperly installed drywall around an opening, be it window, door, or doorway. The photos requested will determine the necessary repair.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

The OP was quite clear in saying it _isn't_ straight or angled but an "L". Unlike you, I've seen quite a number where that is the case and it's clearly the piece moving relative to its neighbors diagonally as opposed to unidirectionally or a corner that sagged but where the single piece is tied to (say) header and studs around an opening and hence cracks the paper (hence the diagonal).

The photos would show the shape of the "L", granted. I submit they wouldn't necessarily show anything about the "necessary" repair as still the previous observation holds...

--

Reply to
dpb

Again, assuming a perfectly square and straight crack. We need more info and a photo. Where exactly on the wall is the crack? I would like a closeup of the crack and an area photo to look for nearby features.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Ok, are the LEGS of the L straight of wavy?

Unlike you, I've seen quite a number where that is the case and

I have seen some angled and wavy cracks, nearly L shaped. When I have seen what you describe it is usually a poorly hung opening pieced together.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

And the followup question was clearly whether it was an L made of two straight lines (bad install) or a meandering, roughly L shaped crack (probably later damage).

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Depends on the cause that's because The crack is back. Do you really have a 12 by 12" crack?

Reply to
Phisherman

Thank you so much. I just called Ace and they have it.

Much appreciated.

Reply to
Kate

On Sat 28 Nov 2009 04:48:29p, Kate told us...

You're very welcome. Best of luck!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright