dryer vent question

Hello

Is it OK to vent a dryer vertically into an attic crawl space instead of horizontally thru an exterior wall to the outside? - paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Assuming you go all the way up through the attic, and exhaust on the exterior of the house (roof), yes. I don't think it's a good idea to vent into the attic space.

Reply to
Dan C

Generally I would say no. There may be some exceptions where that craw space is vented a lot better than most and you live in a dry environment. Otherwise, you are going to add moisture to an area you want to keep as dry as possible. Vent to the outside. I might add that you would also be depositing lint down there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

And stopping without going outside??

Nope.

Go outside! Is the dryer electric, gas? Gas must be vented outside, there are indoor vent kits for electric dryers but they have a tendacy to be messy and add moisture where you don't want it :(

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi, Then you'll have dirt(lint) and moisture problem over time. When hot air cools it becomes wet. >>>> Messy! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you want a mold problem.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
USENET READER

Also, there will be an accumulation of lint in the hose, which will not be pushed all the way up to the outlet, causing a fire hazard.

Reply to
PhotoMan

there is NO good reason to vent the dryer in the attic no matter what.

it may not immediately destroy your house, but there is still no good reason to do it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

In addition to moisture and mould in the attic, if you live in a cold climate there's a chance venting into the attic could cause ice dams in the winter. It's possible the heat would be enough to melt snow on the roof, only to have it re-freeze, causing dams and more damage than you'd ever want to face.

Reply to
Hopkins

funny I didn't see anyone ask this. What are the manufacturers instructions. I'm guessing once you read them, you will have your answer.

later,

tom @

The Real Tom