dryer tripping breaker UPDATE

Last week I posted about my dryer that was tripping the breaker, and I thought the dryer was the cause. I looked at the breaker in the fusepanel, and the red wire, where it hooked up to the breaker, was somewhat corroded, and the red insulation was slightly melted. I replaced the breaker with a new one,and cut the end of the red wire off back to good wire, and so far so good! The dryer is working, no sparks or anything coming from the fusebox, and the wife is happy. I also looked at the rest of the breakers and wires in the fusebox, and everything looks good, this one wire was the only one that was corroded. Thanks to all that posted in response to my initial question! Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

Good for you. Sometimes it take years for a wire to corrode if it was not tightened properly or had a poor connection. Always good to hear a happy ending. Thanks for the update.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

thanks for the update.

what happens is the poor connection overheats, melts the insulation, corrodes the terminal and eventually the heat generated trips the breaker.

i fix machines that have this trouble with switches everyday

Reply to
hallerb