Dryer question from a newbie

I'm new in this newsgroup and inexperienced in home repair. Here's my problem as simply as I can state it. My wife accidently dropped a book of matches down the lint trap on our dryer. It is a Whirlpool dryer with the lint trap on the top of the machine. You pull out the lint trap screen to clean the lint off. While the screen was out, the book of matches fell in. What is the easiest way to get the book of matches out? I've tried snaking some double sided tape down in there but I can't retrive them like that. I can't see the matches or the bottom of the trap because it curves. I won't let her run the dryer right now for fear of fire, and I don't want to have to take the whole machine apart unless I have to. Is there an easy answer to this? I'll be watching the group for an answer (I hope). I just don't know how to do this.

Thanks

Reply to
Retired Frog

I don't know about the "easiest" way but you can see one way to accomplish the task at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

There are lighted inspection probes to allow you to see into tight quarters. A tool called "mechanical fingers" is about 2-3 feet long on a flexible cable might work--about $2 at BigLots, Harbor Freight, or possibly Home Depot. Thanks for the heads up on cleaning the dryer trap!

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi there,

If you take off the vent duct, you can sometimes remove a small object like this by reaching into the blower housing. (The smaller the hands, the better).

You can also briefly run the dryer with the vent duct off, and something light like a matchbook may very well blow right out. I wouldn't worry about the matches igniting - that would be highly unlikely.

If you can't feel it or get it out this way, then I recommend Dan O's procedure above. Btw, great job of explaining that, Dan! Cool site!

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

I was following Dan's advice when I pulled the dryer out from the wall, pulled the power cord, and took off the vent duct - and that's when it fell out. A lot easier than I had thought it would be.

BTW, I'm new to this group, but wish I had been here a long time ago. Seems like lots of friendly folks - unlike some other groups I read. I've been going over past messages and learning lots of good stuff. I gotta stick around...

Reply to
Retired Frog

This is a GREAT group. I'm just a wife, mom, music teacher, and I come here and get info for my husband to do projects around the house! hehe... I have always gotten great help here, and the people have been very nice! Glad the matchbook fell out easily. Nancy :-)

Reply to
Nancy

Isn't it great when youre envisioning a mass of nuts, bolts, wrenches, parts, etc and good fortune just falls out the back of the machine? Lately it seems like most of my projects double and triple in size before they are finished so you have to love that sort of thing.

stay tuned--you'll definitely learn something every day

cj

Reply to
CJ

I'm glad to hear Retired Frog was able to accomplished the task with the link provided but that page I linked to was at *Jeff's* site not mine.

Mine you can see at the link below and has lots of such useful appliance related information linked from the (what else?) 'Appliance Links' section. There is also a 'Repair Search' feature in the 'Repair Parts' section.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~