Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror)

It isnt cowardly to stop. Somebody has to. But you might see if the county or city can help you by putting a Slow sign or speed bumps on the road that is most likely to hide arriving traffic.

The mirror is not a bad idea unless local governmental rules preclude it. We had one at the turnoff to our house in Norway, where the roads were narrow, sided by vertical granite cuts, and had a lot of sharp turns and switchbacks.

Reply to
hls

I'm very sorry but I just don't understand how backing out will help at all. Maybe I'm missing what advantage backing out is. Seems to me that would only make things worse. But maybe I'm missing an important point.

Here is what an oncoming driver on the road would see as they pass the driveway:

Note: In this picture, I'd be coming out to the left.

Here is what I would see as I drive up the driveway toward the road:

Note: In this picture, oncoming traffic would be to my right.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Here are some photos I just took in the early afternoon today. (It's foggy outside but these are typical conditions for the winter.)

Here is the view as I drive down the driveway just as I turn off the roadway:

And here is the view from a bit further back on the road, showing there is really no room for a turnout (as the fence is the property line):

Chuck Banshee

Of all the suggestions, the convex mirror seems best: a) Stopping & looking works fine - but a mirror would be better b) Creating a turnabout is infeasible (and maybe wouldn't work anyway)

The only bad thing is that the mirrors are expensive (at about $100 when mounting is considered).

Here are some pictures of the situation taken this afternoon in the fog:

I think the $100 mirror is the only viable option. Sigh. I was hoping to find a cheaper substance that mounted with just a bolt into a tree or something.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

A Google overhead would be nice.

Reply to
Metspitzer

In my area of the country it is required for a motor vehicle operator to stop to check for traffic before entering any roadway irregardless of whether or not the driveway or parking lot is equipped and marked with a stop sign...

The OP's interest in installing a mirror would make no difference in my area, he would still have to stop even if he could see no cars were coming before reaching the boundary edge of the roadway...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Steve:

Which states are that, once you are in the suburbs/city many driveways are only one or two car lengths long and therefore can not provide enough room to turn the vehicle around in...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Your problem there is the incline of the driveway... Remove some of the brush to make looking over in that direction easier...

No mirror will make entering the roadway from that driveway a safe foolproof operation... Just accept the fact that the only safe way to drive out of that driveway is to stop and look before pulling out...

Maybe even putting up a sign on your property indicating that to visitors would be a good thing...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Chuck Banshee wrote in news:jfskbo$via$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

I gave you a link to a $27 convex mirror.

Reply to
Tegger

If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet...

~~ Evan

Wow, they certainly do grow them stupid in "Provi-DENSE".

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

I know. But it was a foot wide (which is mighty small): "$27 for a 12" with no backing"

Still, it's in the budget range so I appreciate the find.

In the end, I think I'll go with this, however small. If I'm lucky, I'll nail it to a tree. Folks out here are mighty friendly - it's the transients that steal stuff - so I shouldn't have a problem nailing the mirror on a tree. That keeps the costs down.

I've already seen the posts about not putting a post in the guardrail 'control zone' and the posts about modifying the guardrail - so both those ideas are off the table now due to those complications.

The only option left, given the constraints, are the 12 inch convex mirror nailed to a tree. If/when I do this, I'll post a picture of the results!

But, the other posts

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Being a computer nerd I would go with the camera/tablet solution.

Cheap wireless ip cam that you can access with any sort of portable through your home lan.

Place the cam appropriately, maybe weather enclosure. Make it hard to see from road so you lessen the theft problem.

Reply to
Ran Garoo

I would cut down the brush (obstructions) that limit your view until you are at the very crest of your driveway at the road...

In the long run, that solution is free (other than taking up your time), can not be stolen or damaged and if it doesn't work you can always revisit the mirror issue later on...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

great photos.

The fence line probably has an easement for an access road, which would allow you to widen the access making your driveway then intercept the main road at a right angle, making it much safer!, BUT it looks like there is no land passed the fence, like a drop off!

From looking at those photos, I'd say go for the 4 by 8 sheet of mirror, make certain no sun angle can blind a driver, and mount any place you want, you need some safety there. [Just in case, put your contact info on the mirror, if you want them to contact you BEFORE they remove anything. I think you can make up something like, "Do NOT remove, under penalty of law per statute ## {state some code number referring to why it is alright to break a law for safety.} and even write in second language if appropriate.]

Reply to
Robert Macy

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

I think you're a nitwit impersonating an idiot. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

You think? 10-year-olds can do many things we can and many I can't (using game consoles for ex - I've never ever used one). But, scusi, using Usenet, reading headers, knowing what an IP address is, and evenmore doing ARIN searches, is *not* what *any* 10-year-old can do. There might be some who can, but I'd guesstimate it at one in 10,000.

Reply to
Patok

I think that your ideas as to what goes on in education these days is lacking... Tracing an IP address in a technology class is an easy way to tie in with other subjects across the curriculum like geography and world studies using actual real information rather than cheesy fake situations out of a textbook...

Your guesstimate is flat out wrong, kids that young have been learning things like HTML and using the internet at levels beyond what *MOST* adults can comprehend for years... Of course if you are from an illiterate region with poorly funded school systems then perhaps this is not what your young people experience...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

V'ir erdhrfgrq abguvat, ng yrnfg GEL gb yrnea gb erpbtavmr gur qvfgvapgvba orgjrra gur qrpynengvir, vzcrengvir naq vagreebtngvir. Naq, ol nyy zrnaf, qb nyfb pbagvahr gb cergragvbhfyl naq fhcrepvyvbhfyl yrpgher zr nf gb ubj V pbhyq unir orra (unq gur fcrpvsvpf orra ragveryl qvssrerag) jebat orsber furrcvfuyl pbaprqvat gung V nz bs pbhefr pbeerpg, fb irel ragregnvavat naq qrrcyl nccerpvngrq.

Ohg qrfcvgr lbhe cbzcbhf snhk cnf: "Vs lbh qba'g xabj ubj gb cbfg n cvpgher ba n cubgb ubfgvat fvgr naq gura glcr gur yvax urer va n grkg bayl tebhc, gura ghea bss lbhe pbzchgre naq fgbc hfvat gur vagrearg..", gur snpg bs gur znggre vf gung lbh fubhyqa'g or va gur yrnfg fhecevfrq gb qvfpbire gung V, ng yrnfg nf yvxryl nf abg, unir npghnyyl sbetbggra zber nobhg pbzchgre naq flfgrz fpvraprf guna lbh'yy rvgure rire xabj be qrirybc gur jurerjvguny gb pbzceruraq. (Naq nyybj zr gb cerrzcgviryl nffher lbh gung tvira lbhe pbzvpnyyl evfvoyr fgngrzrag, fhpu n punetr vf arvgure ulcbpevgvpny abe vebavp). Nf lbh'ir nyernql fb nzcyl qrzbafgengrq, rira gur zbfg boivbhf bs vasreraprf jbhyq frrz gb rnfvyl fhecnff lbhe qrqhpgvir novyvgvrf; erf vcfn ybdhvghe.

Gb ervgrengr, gurl pregnvayl qb tebj gurz fghcvq va EV.

Or, should the above prove too difficult for you:

I've requested nothing, at least TRY to learn to recognize the distinction between the declarative, imperative and interrogative. And, by all means, do also continue to pretentiously and superciliously lecture me as to how I could have been (had the specifics been entirely different) wrong before sheepishly conceding that I am of course correct, so very entertaining and deeply appreciated.

But despite your pompous faux pas: "If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet..", the fact of the matter is that you shouldn't be in the least surprised to discover that I, at least as likely as not, have actually forgotten more about computer and system sciences than you'll either ever know or develop the wherewithal to comprehend. (And allow me to preemptively assure you that given your comically risible statement, such a charge is neither hypocritical nor ironic). As you've already so amply demonstrated, even the most obvious of inferences would seem to easily surpass your deductive abilities; res ipsa loquitur.

To reiterate, they certainly do grow them stupid in RI.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

While that makes compelling reading (especially the part about the buxom wench women and the high spirited highwaymen), I remind you there are ladies present! Avaast, ye knave! Cleanest up thy writing! Lest I be forced to drub thee.

I may even post the English translation I got from Babelfish, if requested.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon