drive, garage floor connection

Base coat of WHAT???? Asphalt????

Adding material to any surface will have undesired challenges in some places unless very careful planning is done. What would happen if you added this top coat in your living room? How well would the doors work?

Tapering the "top coat" at the garage will only cause faster wear.

Reply to
SQLit

I just want to verify that my opinion is not unreasonable.

New construction

Driveway base coat 1 year old before topcoat.

garage floor, poured concrete, steps down about 1" under door to keep out water.

Driveway top coat just installed, top coat is higher than recessed section of garage floor. It looks like it will hold water but in reality water drains out between asphalt and concrete.

I would think that the top coat should be even, or slightly below, this lower section of the garage floor. Am I right?

Also, how straight should I expect an edge, next to the lawn? I would expect straight enough so its not noticeably crooked.

Also, is it unreasonable to expect the drive top coaters to not crush the concrete driveway apron concrete?

I think my answers are as follows - Top coat should be below garage floor level, edge should be straight and concrete should not have been crushed.

Now what to do - Bring it to the builder attention and expect remedy.

Remedy as follows - Try to roll down drive to proper level, that wont work then they will have to replace. Cut edge straight and replace damaged sections of concrete apron. Unreasonable?

The builder is pretty good and has not come through for me in the past. I am just trying to decide if I am being unreasonable or not.

Reply to
No

Thanks for the reply - Driveway consists of a base coat of asphalt and a top coat of asphalt. Not sure of total thickness. We drove on base coat for a year. Top coat (Finish coat) of asphalt was just done last week.

Sorry I should have said asphalt - around here there is virtually nothing else used for drives. Asphalt makes up 98% if I were to guess.

Reply to
No

Yes, absolutely. Should not puddle or direct water toward the house.

This is best done after the paving, by sawing the edge with a concrete saw. Then you get a perfect, square edge. Not a big deal.

Yes, absolutely.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch