Drip in wall

I have a drip in my downstairs wall whenever the upstairs bath room shower, sink or toilet is used. So, I'm assuming the common pipe is where the drip originates from.

I'd like to avoid tearing into the wall or sub floor. Is there a liquid I could pour down the drain that may stop the drip?

Thanks, Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Nothing I would trust.

The first thing I might try is having it snaked out (and don't forget the vent stack, could be something plugging it up). If you're lucky, that will prevent the level from rising high enough to reach the leaky bit. Probably won't, but may be worth a try (worse case scenario, the snake perforates a bad pipe or otherwise makes the situation acute).

If it were me, I'd call around and try to find a plumber with a flexible scope thing (either fiber optic or a micro-camera) who could get a look at the pipes without make more than dime-sized holes until the problem is located. Then, if you've lived a good, clean life, it might only take a small opening to apply a fix. (This might even suggest that it could be fixed by some pourable goop.)

-Wm

Reply to
William

Do a proper fix or it will keep coming back to haunt you. DAMHIKT.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Do you only have the *sound* of a drip, or is there actually evidence of dampness in the wall?

If only sound, the pipes may be plastic (PVC/ABS); these plastics don't absorb much of the dripping noises and you may have to live with it.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sure, concrete will work. Of course it will no longer function as a drain.

The only fix it to do it right.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Like what? "Drip-Be-Gone?" Geez... Some people should just rent.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Guess you're another one of those few people who know everything from birth, and so never have to ask a question? I admit to being envious, it sure must be convenient.

Reply to
Chip Orange

Mold may help stop it. If the mold get thick enough then it will soak up all the moisture and you will not hear the drip anymore.

Of course, you will be dead by then.

Fix the leak.

Les

Reply to
Lester

No I don't know everything from birth. But fairly close to it, I remember distinctly seeing on Sesame Street, Bert & Ernie doing this routine:

"BEFORE you can have a cookie, you have to lift the cover.

AFTER you lift the cover, then you can have a cookie."

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

DAMHIKT.

For new users: "Don't ask me how I know this".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon