Drilling tapcons into hollow blocks

I agree with Chip C. My experience is that the dedicated drill bit wanders thereby causing the pilot hole to enlarge. Probably should try a smaller masonary drill bit which will cut you some slack in the diameter. Also no one has mentioned using a rubber bulb to remove the masonary dust from the pilot hole.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Only if you tell small children they are licorice gumdrops :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I meant as opposed to the screw that he thought was stripped.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Whatever happened to using a ramset or construction adhesive to apply a

1x4 to the wall, and screwing the pipe clips to that? Not like they take a lot of weight- I presume OP is just trying to make the place look tidy, and reduce rattling from air bubbles and pressure changes. I think OP is making this project a lot harder than it needs to be.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

That's how I've seen the pro's do it...Things tend to get a little over thought sometimes in the my idea is better contest...LOL...

Reply to
benick

On Feb 3, 5:44=A0pm, MiamiCuse wrote

The problem isn't with the screws, it is with the holes you are drilling... You need to be more careful and hold the drill at a 90 degree angle to the surface you are drilling into without letting it wiggle around... Some double stick tape and a speed square can help guide you if you need a point to reference to...

It sounds like the drill is making too large of a hole because you are putting too much force on it and the drill bit is flexing under the pressure and drilling a larger hole...

Let the drill do the work, gently guide it forward...

If you still have problems with using these screws, you can find and use a slightly smaller hammer-drill bit until you find one that works and gives your screws good bite with your overly forceful style of drilling...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan