Drilling aluminum

I want to make a round hole in some aluminum stock. The diameter woiuld be about 1 1/2 inches. The siz is not critical it will just allow for the pasasge of the feed lines for a faucet. The aluminum will be 1/8 in thick. I have a table top drill press. Will a standard hardware level hole saw be appropriate? I think with that size circle the slowest speed would be right. What about lubrication? Dry, water, oil or what?

I am trying to avoid a starting hole and saber saw or some other such way.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I use the bimetal hole saw blades from Milwaukee. They work great on Aluminum and other soft metal. I spray the metal and blade with an oil lubricant. Use the slowest speed.

The hole saws made for wood can be aggresive and will cut aluminum just be extra careful.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

clamp the piece of metal to the press table. you can lose fingers if the hole saw binds and then you'll have to sign your posts stumpy.

regards, charlie

charlie

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

You can use a hole saw mounted on a mandrel but be aware that Aluminum is quite bad at galling the teeth. Wax stick lubricant helps or some other lubricant.

An Irwin Speedbore or equal is available in 1 1/2" , is cheaper, is a whole lot faster.

Reply to
DanG

Hi, reamer or punch?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

"Charlie Bress" wrote in news:raidnbB_LYcMfGzYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The hole cutters that use a bar and two HSS cutter bits work well for aluminum.

If your drill press is like my cheapo DP,the slowest speed is 620 RPM,a bit fast for large bits. I do better using my 9.6V Makita cordless drill/driver.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I usually score the workpeice from the backside, and then flip it over and drill through.

Reply to
Goedjn