Drat. I have been using TCW-3 two-stroke oil in my chainsaw gas:oil mixture for two years

Don't get a Stihl "occasional use" saw. They should not have the Stihl brand name on them. Get one of their professional models for just a bit more money.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Hi, I always look for prosumer model, one straddles between pro model and consumer model. Price is in between too. Most polular saw in our neck of wood is Stihl and Husq. Echo was now gone way side. They keep changing models and service due to parts availability is difficult.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 06:49:17 -0400:

It says: "Forget about using TC-W3 oil, as it?s designed for water cooled engines that run at low RPMs. It will work in a pinch in chainsaws, but long term it?s not good for them. If you?re buying from a store that doesn?t specialize in chainsaws, be sure to read the fine print on any bottle you buy."

Like an auto parts store (where I bought the TCW-3 oil, for something a lot less than the $80/gallon that Lowes & Home Depot sell two-stroke oil for.

The problem, of course, is that we don't know HOW to get 2-stroke oil that should work, as we don't have any *rating* for chainsaw oil.

Reply to
Danny D.

Oren wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:07:17 -0700:

I wonder if air-cooled motorcycle engine oil is the same as the stuff we're supposed to put into chain saws?

Is there a *rating* system that we could look for that would tell us which oil is suitable for air-cooled engines?

We know it's *not* TCW-3, but we don't know what it is.

Reply to
Danny D.

Ed Pawlowski wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:19:28 -0400:

I had googled forever the difference between the Stihl and Husqvarna, and had gone with the Husqvarna because for the same $400 I could get a slightly better saw at the time.

What I *love* about the Husqvarna is how easily it starts!

The Sears Craftsman (Poulon) 358.351800 was miserable to start and keep running even when it was brand new.

Reply to
Danny D.

Pico Rico wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:12:03 -0700:

IIRC, I paid around $350 to $400 for the 18" Husqvarna 445 about two years ago. I see it's around that, even now:

What Sthil would you get, for about that price?

Reply to
Danny D.

Roy wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:59:15 -0700:

Actually, truth be told, I do much the same thing.

I keep the small 2-ouncish 40:1 bottles around, and I keep filling them, and using them with a gallon of 87AKI gas.

I figure, if some is good, more is better (to a point).

Reply to
Danny D.

for your mix. I never run that lean...have always gone with 40/1 or even 30/1 in really hot weather. As long as it will start and run the extra oil won't hurt other than the heavy smoke.

Fouls plugs sooner, and may carbon the muffler.

That said, I've never had 32:1 smoke or do that. I have been using 32:1 for decade or more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most motocycles do not mix oil in the gas, unless it is some of the small ones. You do not use the crankcase oil and oil you mix with gas in the wrong places.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Oren wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:37:39 -0700:

The factory manual picture was posted. It has three lines, which, paraphrased, are:

  1. Use Husqvarna oil.
  2. Don't use TCW-rated oil.
  3. If you can't use Husqvarna, use the equivalent.

Overall, that tells me nothing useful (other than TCW is bad).

Reply to
Danny D.

Ralph Mowery wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:44:25 -0400:

I used to have a Suzuki GT380. It was a two stroke. It burned oil with the gas, although it injected it.

Reply to
Danny D.

Danny D. wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:01:33 +0000:

UPDATE: H I just called Husqvarna back at 800-487-5951 and got a few numbers to call for my zip code (because they couldn't answer my question).

Calling those numbers, I've found that the RATING for the two-cycle oil that is used in chainsaws is apparently JASO FD &/or ISO-L-EGD.

Googling, I find this specification for two-stroke oil:

First off, it says TC-W3 obsoletes TC-W & TC-WII (but, we already know we don't want TCW-anything according to the owners manual).

For the JASO FD spec, we find the following:

  1. JASO FA ? original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.
  2. JASO FB ? increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
  3. JASO FC ? lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
  4. JASO FD ? same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.

For the ISO L-EGD spec, we find it refers right back to JASO: a. ISO-L-EGB ? same tests and requirements as JASO FB. b. ISO-L-EGC ? same tests and slightly higher detergency requirements (piston varnish) as JASO FC. c. ISO-L-EGD ? same tests and requirements as JASO FD

I'm gonna print this, and tape it to my chainsaw box, along with the existing chainsaw specification list as a reminder:

Husqvarna 445 18" narrow kerf bar (aka micro lite, pixel) 0.050in pitch 0.325in gauge 0.025in height 72 drive links 3/16in file (4.8mm) 85°, 30°, 10° filing angles Use H30, G72, 95VPX072CK chain Do not use the H72 chain! 8.8oz bar oil per fill 16oz 87AKI gasoline per fill 10ml,1/3oz 2-stroke oil per fill Only JASO SD or ISO-L-EGD oil 2.5oz oil per gallon gasoline

Reply to
Danny D.

Danny D. wrote, on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:53:32 +0000:

Here's another article, which mentions that JASO stands for the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Organization (JASO) and it explains that JASO SD is the best currently, while ISO-L-EGD is a bit more international, including American, Japanese and European engine manufacturers.

Danny D.