Double-opening mailboxes

I have an eight-foot ivy-covered privacy fence along the front of my yard, with entry through a gate. My mailbox is on a post on the street side of the fence. I would like to find a new mailbox, one that could be placed or fashioned so as to be IN the fence, with one end on one side of the fence and the other on the opposite side, with a closable door opening on both ends of the mailbox. That way the mailman could put mail in one end of the mailbox and I could go outside in my pajamas or a Zorro costume and get the mail without having to go out to the street side of the fence.

I've googled my index finger off looking for mailboxes, manufacturers, custom designs, etc., without finding anything like what I've described.

Does anyone have a suggestion? As to building (or having it built) myself, I've heard there are Postal Service regulations about mailbox size, capacity, construction. Is that true?

Jim Beaver

Reply to
Jim Beaver

Jim,

They're common where I live, this is the one I have. I imagine you could adapt it to your situation. One thing about these Step 2 boxes, the kids/adults like to light the newspaper on fire every now and then, and the box and post go up in flames.

Higgins

Here's a bunch of them......

Steve

Here is the one I have. I have been very happy with it. Frankly I got it because it was very easy to install on the old post after someone visiting a neighbor backed into my old one.

Joseph Meehan

There ARE postal service regulations. In reality, the USPS doesn't care.

If the person-person (PC speak for mailman) can determine its use (hint: "U.S. Mail"), you'll be okay. After all, what are the "regulations" on a door's mail slot?

I'd put a "mail slot" (get it at HD) on the outside of the wall and my own container on the inside.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Jim Beaver wrote: ...

Joseph Meehan

I vote for the Zorro costume. Nice to hear from someone with a sense of humor..

Reply to
SQLit

Just use a regular mail-box, but install it on one of the larger model train sets....

Reply to
default

The regs allow you to custom-build, as long as you check with your local postmaster.

Not entirely true. Local enforcement may well vary, but the USPS is mainly concerned with the regs for *manufactured* mailboxes. These have recently been revised and that's partly why you see a lot of new mailbox designs like the PVC ones.

The new regs allow for some more esoteric options, especially with locking and double-door mailboxes.

Slots must be big enough for *mumblety* and after that ... they don't care.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Colonial Flag sells a 2-door heavy-duty plastic mailbox. I bought one last year and it's worked out just fine.

Or search their website for '2-door brute' if the above link is too long.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee