doing things right

Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.
INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want. Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of a virus.
Amazon says, do it better.
Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.
On 6/3/2018 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Both make money out of thin air. Amazon is raising Prime by $20 creating a profit of two billion dollars. I don't have Prime but can usually finagle free shipping if I don't mind waiting a couple extra days. I guess if you did not know the time until you got your new clock that the service was valuable to you ;)
Microsoft is the annoying one though, they appeared to raise some profits by adding ads to new formerly free games. They started doing this with Win 10 and I think they added more when they do updates.
Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.
On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you can get $700 a year in value. We use the video and streaming music and take advantage of some discounts. I probably come out at least a little ahead.

Or whoever you cable provider is. They all suck, just to different degrees.

On 6/3/2018 3:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My wife would not tolerate what my neighbor across the street does in switching between Comcast and FIOS every couple of years when initial offer is over and price goes up.
They are all annoying. I compare it to buying a car where they tell you what the first year's monthly payment will be but not what subsequent years will be.
On 6/3/2018 3:19 PM, Frank wrote:

Don't forget dealer fees. What a scam.
On 6/4/2018 7:18 AM, Meanie wrote:

I have no problem buying cars since I separate the deal from the financing and trade plus I deal with family and friends.
Frank posted for all of us...

ot

Ditto on that. Plus my dealer will email prices and details so I can examin e them at leisure. She will also do the paperwork for the credit union if I want.
--
Tekkie

Tekkie® wrote:

We evidently have some new ATT fiber optics in our neighborhood. With all of the "temporary multi-packaged deals" going around between Comcast and them, it's difficult to compare! %-).
On 6/4/2018 2:13 PM, Bill wrote:

I have choice between Comcast and FIOS and actually have both in my house since Verizon replaced copper in neighborhood with fiber a few years ago. They needed my permission to do my two phones at the time since they had to bury the cable in my lawn and come into my house with the box. I put one phone on Comcast triple play but the FIOS phone continues as if it were still a land line. I would remove it except I have a long term business client that pays for it. Their backup battery probably needs replacement as it beeps at me in the basement and I plan to get rid of the phone when I quit consulting. Both Comcast and FIOS are on fiber except Comcast splits to cables to a few houses. They both throttle speeds and my download speed is probably just as fast.
FIOS constantly bugs me to take their service and I told them I would accept their two year initial offer if they gave it for life. Answer is always crickets. At my age, two years might be a lifetime offer, who knows ;)
FIOS installation here and the neighborhood was a real cluster-fuck with all underground services. I could tell stories and show pictures to the ng about all the comedy it was.

Anytime I hear about something like that I think of Hawaii's capital building.
Wife and I lived there for decades and, for a while, she had to be downtown at a building across from the construction site. She didn't drive at the time so I took her and waited in the car while she did her bit of business. While waiting, I watched the construction guys.
One in partiular. He and his backhoe were busy moving a large pile of dirt from one place to another. When moved, he would move it back again to where it was originally. He did this day after day, week after week, month after month. Why in the world would he do this? Only thing I can think of is because the contract was time + materials.
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 7:27:48 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

I observed the same thing. What it turned out to be was a different guy each time in training.
On 6/5/2018 7:27 AM, dadiOH wrote:

This was not that kind of situation but what you describe sounds like a government job.
County park was expanding a ball diamond with back-fill. Trunks were coming in, dumping dirt in a pile, another truck came along, they filled it with the dirt and he drove out and dumped it where fill was needed. A friend asked the supervisor why they had to transfer the dirt to another truck and just dump it where needed from the first truck. Supervisor said the first truck was too big to do it but friend observed that both trucks were the same size.
I sent a letter to our local rag about this boondoggle. Some people were pissed in the county. I got a threatening letter and my son who is Jr. was getting irate phone calls.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

ock

.
Comcast has it down to such a fine art! They are the model...
--
Tekkie

Frank posted for all of us...

BINGO on that. When one wants customer disservice just give them a ring.
Their motto is: We are not happy until you are not happy.
--
Tekkie

On 6/4/2018 1:41 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

A neighbor's son is some sort of executive there at their Philly home office. He does not live here and his mother died a couple of years ago and his father is living with a daughter and is prepping the house for sale. I ran into the son a few months ago and told him my complaints. He gave me a card with "the" phone number to call and they were great. Card said "single use" but the guy said I could call again anytime so I did a week ago and could not get through. I hear dealing with FIOS is just as frustrating and I think they still have the old telephone company mentality of treating customers like they are the only game in town.
The thread originally addressed Amazon and we had a young neighbor originally working at their warehouse here in DE as a temp but now working full time at one of their offices in PA. He told me they expected the bulk of their future profits would come from non-tangible electronic assets like Prime. Another friend told me that BJ's Wholesale Club says the same about their club membership.
I am glad the our favorite Uncle M gets a lot out his Prime account but I know many folks that have many accounts and the account probably profits most from their use like the gym memberships that are rarely used.
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next day, a Sunday even...
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 4:16:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

Depends on what their actual cost for Sunday delivery is. It's the USPS and Amazon probably has a good deal that doesn't cost them very much extra. And it's a great feature that many customers probably appreciate and it wins them business. It impressed DaddiOH. I would certainly appreciate it if it was something I needed quickly and it would make me think of Amazon for next time too. Heck, I'm thinking about Amazon, right now. See, it's working :)
trader_4 posted for all of us...

Especially when you can't find it locally. The Prez said Amazon was taking advantage of USPS. IDK I read an article that USPS wants to do more, especially on Sundays. Don't know about USPS but it must make money for Amazon.
--
Tekkie

What makes you think it cost them extra money? If the procedure is in place there is no reason it can't be normal.
On 6/3/18 5:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Simple. Most carrier charge more for faster delivery and especially for Sunday.
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.