doing things right

Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want. Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

Reply to
dadiOH

Both make money out of thin air. Amazon is raising Prime by $20 creating a profit of two billion dollars. I don't have Prime but can usually finagle free shipping if I don't mind waiting a couple extra days. I guess if you did not know the time until you got your new clock that the service was valuable to you ;)

Microsoft is the annoying one though, they appeared to raise some profits by adding ads to new formerly free games. They started doing this with Win 10 and I think they added more when they do updates.

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

Reply to
Frank

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you can get $700 a year in value. We use the video and streaming music and take advantage of some discounts. I probably come out at least a little ahead.

Or whoever you cable provider is. They all suck, just to different degrees.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My wife would not tolerate what my neighbor across the street does in switching between Comcast and FIOS every couple of years when initial offer is over and price goes up.

They are all annoying. I compare it to buying a car where they tell you what the first year's monthly payment will be but not what subsequent years will be.

Reply to
Frank

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next day, a Sunday even...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Depends on what their actual cost for Sunday delivery is. It's the USPS and Amazon probably has a good deal that doesn't cost them very much extra. And it's a great feature that many customers probably appreciate and it wins them business. It impressed DaddiOH. I would certainly appreciate it if it was something I needed quickly and it would make me think of Amazon for next time too. Heck, I'm thinking about Amazon, right now. See, it's working :)

Reply to
trader_4

What makes you think it cost them extra money? If the procedure is in place there is no reason it can't be normal.

Reply to
dadiOH

As a recent - late-to-the-show - user of Amazon - grey-haired fogey - the few things that I've ordered were delivered on time ; in proper condition ; and met my expectations. Price point was very good - and was the reason I went Amazon. I paid zero shipping - not Prime - but the orders just met the free shipping amount. < it would have made a difference > John T.

Reply to
hubops

It's a working business model... It beats the "your stuff will get there sometime next week, maybe, good lord willing and the creek don't rise and it will only cost you $10.95 for shipping and handling."

I've been a Prime member for a number of years. You don't have to do much online business with other vendors and their S&H charges until Prime has paid for itself. Dependable delivery, free Kindle books, music, and streaming video is just icing on the cake.

Reply to
rbowman

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:16:17 -0400, Wade Garrett

Evidently a very successful one. The promise two day delivery and give it.

Now you mention why on Sunday. Just take a good look around you. Unlike growing up, Sunday is no longer a special day. Used to be, Sunday is when many went to church, we went to visit relatives, dinner at grand mom's and so forth. Now, Sunday is just another day. It is the busiest day at the supermarket and just another work day for those in retail.

While I agree with you, most people don't and want what they ordered.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't forget dealer fees. What a scam.

Reply to
Meanie

I have no problem buying cars since I separate the deal from the financing and trade plus I deal with family and friends.

Reply to
Frank

Frank posted for all of us...

BINGO on that. When one wants customer disservice just give them a ring.

Their motto is: We are not happy until you are not happy.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Comcast has it down to such a fine art! They are the model...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Frank posted for all of us...

Ditto on that. Plus my dealer will email prices and details so I can examin e them at leisure. She will also do the paperwork for the credit union if I want.

Reply to
Tekkie®

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Especially when you can't find it locally. The Prez said Amazon was taking advantage of USPS. IDK I read an article that USPS wants to do more, especially on Sundays. Don't know about USPS but it must make money for Amazon.

Reply to
Tekkie®

We evidently have some new ATT fiber optics in our neighborhood. With all of the "temporary multi-packaged deals" going around between Comcast and them, it's difficult to compare! %-).

Reply to
Bill

I have choice between Comcast and FIOS and actually have both in my house since Verizon replaced copper in neighborhood with fiber a few years ago. They needed my permission to do my two phones at the time since they had to bury the cable in my lawn and come into my house with the box. I put one phone on Comcast triple play but the FIOS phone continues as if it were still a land line. I would remove it except I have a long term business client that pays for it. Their backup battery probably needs replacement as it beeps at me in the basement and I plan to get rid of the phone when I quit consulting. Both Comcast and FIOS are on fiber except Comcast splits to cables to a few houses. They both throttle speeds and my download speed is probably just as fast.

FIOS constantly bugs me to take their service and I told them I would accept their two year initial offer if they gave it for life. Answer is always crickets. At my age, two years might be a lifetime offer, who knows ;)

FIOS installation here and the neighborhood was a real cluster-f*ck with all underground services. I could tell stories and show pictures to the ng about all the comedy it was.

Reply to
Frank

A neighbor's son is some sort of executive there at their Philly home office. He does not live here and his mother died a couple of years ago and his father is living with a daughter and is prepping the house for sale. I ran into the son a few months ago and told him my complaints. He gave me a card with "the" phone number to call and they were great. Card said "single use" but the guy said I could call again anytime so I did a week ago and could not get through. I hear dealing with FIOS is just as frustrating and I think they still have the old telephone company mentality of treating customers like they are the only game in town.

The thread originally addressed Amazon and we had a young neighbor originally working at their warehouse here in DE as a temp but now working full time at one of their offices in PA. He told me they expected the bulk of their future profits would come from non-tangible electronic assets like Prime. Another friend told me that BJ's Wholesale Club says the same about their club membership.

I am glad the our favorite Uncle M gets a lot out his Prime account but I know many folks that have many accounts and the account probably profits most from their use like the gym memberships that are rarely used.

Reply to
Frank

Simple. Most carrier charge more for faster delivery and especially for Sunday.

Reply to
Wade Garrett