dog tunneling under chain link fence

Responsible cat owners don't let them outside, unless they have a kennel type cage to keep them in so they can sun themselves etc. Too many cats flattened in the streets, taken by dogs etc., then the owner is crying about the loss of "fluffy," as if it isn't their fault for subjecting the poor cat to all the hazards in the first place.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I don't want a pet to have ANY defense against a toddler other than fleeing. Jesus, you would rather a small child get cut up than allow a cat to have its hair pulled.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

I'm sure you have a way of teaching this to a cat.

Are you a complete idiot. Have you ever had a cat and visiting kids. Cats are usually curled up minding their own business. A cat can't flee when a kid has a death grip on it. It swipes with it's front paw.

Reply to
dangermouse

  1. Declawing. Our cats may not be declawed. If you want a declawed cat, ask if we have one that is already declawed. Reason: Declawing is cruel, physically and psychologically, and completely unnecessary. A cat?s claws function as part of its fingers and toes. Declawing means amputating the last joint of a cat?s toes. The surgery and recovery is extremely painful. Declawing impedes a cat?s ability to walk and play as well as protect and groom themselves. Psychologically, cats need to claw as part of their grooming ritual and many cats knead with their claws to express comfort. Declawed cats tend to have higher levels of anxiety because they feel defenseless and often become biters. They also tend to react to stress by acting out such as by not using their litter boxes. Frequent clipping of the tip of the claw can help alleviate damage due to scratching. An SPCA volunteer or your vet can show you how to properly clip claws. Give your cat plenty of appropriate things to scratch and gently correct your cat if it scratches the wrong things. A little patience, positive reinforcement, and consistency in training alleviates the vast majority of scratching problems.
Reply to
dangermouse

You said "Toddler". A cat that can't avoid a toddler is either ancient or retarded.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

related web sites:

Petition to outlaw declawing - please sign petition on declawing Helping Paws - Animal shelter dedicated to ending declawing The Paw Project: Non-profit agency dedicated to end declawing of all cats (tigers, lions, domestic, etc.) phone 1-877-PAWPROJECT (1-877-729-7765) The Whole Cat Journal, comprehensive article on declawing

- Consumer affairs complaint
download Summer 2001 issue, pages 2&3
- The Whole Cat Journal, great article! 5 comprehensive pages on declawing by Gary Lowenthal Helping Paws:
anti-declaw t-shirts and bumper stickers

- directory to declawing sites on the Internet

- comprehensive anti-decalwing website

- has a no-declaw web ring

- hall of fame/shame veterinarians

- more declawing information

Pet Planet To scratch or not to scratch.

Maine Coon Cats , click on "cat health topics" for info on declawing. Check out the website of my friend, Tom. Has pictures of beautiful cats!

Animal Protection Institute (API) on Declawing: Behavior Modification or Destructive Surgery?

Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights (AVAR)

&
- complaints I filed with consumer affairs

dangermouse

FACT asshole: Declawed cats BITE. Cat bites can be very dangerous.

Reply to
dangermouse

Prove it. I've had several cats, all declawed and none of them ever bit anyone. Perhaps your biting cats are frustrated over something else?

Reply to
Rick Brandt

String a shocker line from a Fi-Shock along the base of the fence. It will take the dog about two times. Unless he is a knucklehead, and then it could take more than twice. If he hasn't learned by the tenth time he has been shocked, trade him for a goldfish.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

...and millions never attack so much as a fly.

Have you ever heard of training a pet? I guess not, your momma failed.

Reply to
krw

Personal anecdotes don't amount to proof.

However...

Our cat is declawed. Early on she got excited in our screened in porch and then turned around and sunk her teeth into my hand. A few days later I needed to visit a doctor because the wound got infected. Seemed pretty dangerous to me.

Since then she's gotten me a couple of times. She can certainly protect herself.

Overall she's a very nice cat, follows us around the house, comes when called.

Declawed cats should never be let outside. In most areas, I don't think any cat should be let outside.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Lots of nice words that only lack one thing. Proof of any kind whatsoever. Millions of happy, contented, declawed cats belie everything in that statement. All it has is an author who wants to attribute human characteristics to animals and then spout amateurish Psychoanalysis on them

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Finally some sense here, though you forgot disease. Cats spread feline leukemia like wildfire. Cats kept away from others and cars live a very long life (we had one tabby 22 years).

Just give the cats a toy box stuffed full of their favorite toys and play with them when they want.

Reply to
krw

You're one of the low-lifes who can't control their children? Somehow I figured as much.

I know no one with young kids. The cats have enough sense to stay away from strangers (well, one wants to play with any man that comes in the house). Seems we're in the age between children and grandchildren, as are our friends.

Reply to
krw

Ah, the professional dog owner argument. Sure, I would have no problem with legislation that limited pit bull ownership to those who took classes both for the owner and with their dog and required that both pass an examination of aptitude after same.

Of course when bad things happened under those conditions I would expect the owner to be jailed for reckless endangerment since they had obviously cheated or produced fraudulent proof of having taken the classes (since no one that had taken the classes could possibly have an incident right?).

The current REAL problem is that any ordinary asshole can acquire these dogs and not all of them are going to spend the time and effort to provide anything beyond rudimentary training.

Is it your position that when Joe Average acquires and does NOT train his dog extensively that the dog's danger to society is the same regardless of breed? That breed doesn't enter into the equation at all?

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Who gives a shit what some looney site says.

Only if done by a butcher.

Bullshit feline psychobabble.

Wrong again. The cats enjoy scratching. They can now do it to their heart's content, on anything that takes their fancy.

No more than your toenails do. They don't have an opposable thumb, you know?

Lie!

Is that why ours were bouncing all around the house and scratching on the scratching post when they got home?

Lie. they can play perfectly well, without causing pain to each other, or me.

Lie.

Lie. Declawed cats still "claw".

As do declawed cats. No points here either.

Often? Cats with their claws never do? More feline psychobabble.

Try changing their litter next week. It works.

Speaking of stressing out a cat! Do you give it a bath at the same time?

My vet can properly remove the claws too. So can my brother (also a vet) who highly recommends declawing when the cat is neutered. I suppose you don't approve of that either, because it might cause stress, or some other psychobabble.

Clip the claws and let it scratch whatever it wants.

Cliping the claws resolves all of them, instantly,

Reply to
krw

Nope, not me. Don't even own a dog currently. I've met quite a few very friendly Pit Bulls, and particularly Rotties. It *can* be done. Just don't torture the thing and you're a long way down the right road.

I'm against any legislation that singles out a particular breed. It won't work for the same reason that laws against "designer drugs" don't.

I'd have no problem with that for any dog that seriously injures someone.

Assholes can drive cars too.

No, it's my position that if the dog (any breed) is dangerous, the owner be held responsible.

Correct. The dog cannot be responsible, rather the owner/ If insurance companies want to limit breeds they'll insure, I really don't have much to say though. Contract, and all...

Reply to
krw

Where? San Fran? Only in a loony bin would they come up with such a stupid idea. All it'll do is remove revenue from the pockets of the vets in that town and send it to the next one over. Classic leftist nonsense.

Reply to
krw

People that believe certain breeds are overtly dangerous do NOT take the position that these breeds walk around 100% of the time snarling and snapping at things (that would actually make them easier to outlaw).

What IS true is that these breeds can be sweet, obedient pets for years and then without obvious provocation attack a person or other animal. Compounding that is the fact that they are not easily subdued. There are many attack stories where neighbors with baseball bats or similar were not able to get these dogs to release their hold. Policemen have often had to put multiple rounds into these dogs before they go down. The canine jaw is one of the most powerful in nature and these dogs have much more powerful jaws than your average lab or shepard.

Non-sequitor. Laws concerning drugs have nothing to do with the issue.

And when certain breeds are known time and again to be involved in these cases the legislators are just supposed to sit back and act AFTER every incident?

And driving cars is heavily regulated. Thanks for making my point.

But only and always after the fact, right?

This isn't about holding the dog responsible. Municipalities restrict the ownership of more types of animals than those that are allowed, usually for far less serious reasons than safety. If one can be prevented from having a cow in their back yard just because of the smell then I see no reason not to disallow a dangerous breed of dog.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Thanks very much to those who gave useful, constructive advice, it was much appreciated. All the other stuff that cropped up, I'm staying out of - dog breeds, owner responsibility, cat ownership, declawing... Have fun, let me know when you're done!

In regard to those concerned the dog was being left alone in the yard all day, this is not at all the case. I am a stay-at-home mom and the dog is with people, both inside and outside, much of the day. We would not have gotten a dog if it would be left home alone all day. In fact, he was in the yard on a beautiful sunny Thanksgiving afternoon with both our sons while the adults were in and out when he tunneled his way to freedom. Thank goodness the older one saw him take off and ran to get us. The dog is new to us and had been a bit neglected and without training for a couple of years, so we're working on some issues and getting into a class. I think his previous family allowed him to drag them around on the leash and getting out into the neighborhood was a regular issue they never really stopped effectively.

He does need more socialization with other dogs, I agree, and we are working on that by meeting neighbors with dogs and getting them together. There are also dogs at both houses on either side, which he sees a few times a day. He had a dog friend with his previous family before they divorced. Since then he's been tied up in the back yard alone for much of the past two years. The ex-wife finally took charge of finding the dog a better home than the ex-husband was able to provide. (The wife had taken the smaller of the two dogs to her townhouse, where rules only allow one dog.) So I think he's getting out primarily to meet other dogs. And to run - he's a border collie mix.

He is walked at least twice a day for 20-50 minutes each time on varying routes. The weather being so nice this weekend, I got out my bike to try him running beside me and we both loved it and it really gave him the kind of workout he needs. (Unfortunately, the snow is coming...) My husband grew up with dogs, but this is my first dog and I've still got to learn how to keep him busy and challenged, I admit. I'm on a list of border collie owners, to learn more about keeping him challenged. When we went to Lowe's today to get the paraphernalia to secure the fence, the saleswoman who came to help us turned out to be a border collie owner and trainer and gave me lots of good ideas for both securing the fence and entertaining the dog.

The barbed wire idea is not something we want to do, because of the potential of it hurting the pets and the kids. The cement under the edge of the fence is a good idea, but the current location of the fence is not where it is going to stay. We have a huge, deep back yard, but only fenced a portion closest to the back of the house for the time being. There is an above ground pool in the yard, and it does have a fenced deck with a locked gate, but we felt it safest for the kids while they are small to have a fence between the house and the pool. When finances permit, and the kids are older, we will eventually pull out this chain link perimeter and fence the whole yard with a nice wood fence - and cement under the edges! We have done paving stones under all the gates, and will do cement blocks or whatever along the fence bottom if the current fix doesn't hold, but it's a pretty good length of fence and will likely require the delivery of a pallet or two, so we're hoping we won't have to do that.

Thanks again for helpful ideas.

-Karen-

Reply to
dkhedmo