Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

Read this ... (which I just read myself to figure out the difference between setting up an additional access point (wired) versus a repeater (not wired):

Chuck Banshee

Just looked that up.

Secondary access point is wired (which is what I have).

A secondary repeater is not wired (which isn't what I want).

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Nope. The speed from a seperate access point is the same. No losses.

However, the *MAXIMUM* speed of a store and forward repeater is cut in half. Each packet goes through the air twice. Once between the AP and the repeater, and again between the repeater and the computah. Actually, 50% is rather optimistic as I've seen repeaters that cut throughput to about 10% of max speed. Note that a repeater has to operate on the same channel as the wireless router. Same opinion as before... repeater suck.

I suggest you use a different SSID from your Linksys wireless router so that the kids can choose which one to connect. Also, select a different RF channel (1, 6, and 11) so that there's no mutual interference.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Correct. You want an access point, not a repeater.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Ah, I got it. (I'm mostly from alt.home.repair ... so this is a 'new' revelation that is old hat to you on alt.internet.wireless).

ACCESS POINT vs REPEATER:

  • The 'access point' is wired & the speed is the same
  • The 'repeater' is not wired; and the speed is lousy
  • I clearly would want an access point

WE WANT AN ACCESS POINT:

  • The access point is simply a router with: a) DHCP turned off b) The WAN port unused with the incoming cat5e going into a LAN port c) The SSID, encryption, & channel can be the same or different as the primary router but two of you (Jeff & Char) strongly recommend different SSID & channels than the primary router.
Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Hi Jim, Your signal-strength problem & wiring situation 'appear' to be the same as mine (just substitute Toshiba for Wii).

Here's my first rough draft so that the others will correct our mistakes (before we make 'em!).

Note: These are just example numbers (yours & mine will vary). Note: This assumes Linksys WRT54G routers (the only one I know).

Write down the primary router information (note 1' === primary): a) SSID, security, & passphrase (e.g., WRT54G-1, WPA2/AES, & 'foobar') b) IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1) c) DHCP range (e.g., 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.150) c) Channel (e.g., channel 2)

Set up your secondary router (note 2' === secondary): a) Temporarily connect a cable from your PC to the 2' router LAN port b) Set your PC IP address to the same subnet as the 2' router

- Linux: ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

- Windows:

(i.e., obtain an IP address automatically) c) Log into the 2' router default IP address (e.g., http://192.168.1.1)d) Turn off DHCP (i.e., let the 1' router assign all IP addresses!) e) Set up the 2' router with a different SSID (e.g., WRT54G-2) f) Use the same encryption & passphrase in the 2' router as in the 1' router (e.g., WPA2/AES, & 'foobar') f) Give the 2' router an unused IP address in the same subnet as the 1' router DHCP range, but "outside" the range of the 1' router (e.g.,

192.168.1.200) g) Set the 2' router channel opposite that of the primary (e.g., channel 11) h) Unplug the PC from the 2' router (which is now configured as an access point)

Hook up the 2' router as the access point downstairs: a) Don't plug anything into the 2' router's WAN port! b) Plug the cable from the wall jack to a LAN port on the 2' router c) See if you can connect to the SSID of the 2' router!

Note: I don't yet have that 2' router so I haven't actually done this yet; plus, I have an unused (Verizon) DSL router somewhere that I would use first ... so assume this is only an untested rough draft, submitted for comment & corrections.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Ok, I'll keep it simple.

I previously posted 3 URL's to sites explaining how to do it. Please re-read:

etc...

Turn off the DHCP server, RIP2, and Plug-N-Pray.

Nope. NOTHING goes into the WAN (internet) port on the access point. The CAT5e cable goes between any LAN port on the main wireless router, to any LAN port on the access point.

If you make the SSID the same, you might be lucky and get "seamless roaming" where it switches automagically to the strongest signal as you wander around the house. More likely, it will stay connected to the first signal heard, and not release even if the other signal is better. When you try to manually select which signal to use, you'll find that you have on choice with a single SSID, unless your wireless client is one of the few that allow for selection my MAC address.

If you put both on the same RF channel, you can realistically only use one system at a time, as the added traffic from a connection on the other radio constitutes co-channel interference.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think the three of us are saying the same thing. Change the "nope" above to "yep" and we're all set.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Hi Jeff, I read 'all' the quoted references (see reference section at bottom). I'm sure I'll still make mistakes, but, here is my second draft of the plan (mostly for Jim Elbrecht & anyone else who has never done this but who has Linksys equipment), for review, for setting up a second Linksys WRT54G router as an access point in a typical home setting:

Write down the primary router information (note 1' === primary): a) SSID, security, & passphrase (e.g., WRT54G-1, WPA2/AES, & 'foobar') b) IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1) c) DHCP range (e.g., 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.100) d) Channel (e.g., channel 1) e) All subnet masks for both routers are assumed to be 255.255.255.0

Set up your secondary router (note 2' === secondary): a) Temporarily connect a cable from your PC to the 2' router LAN port b) Set your PC IP address to the same subnet as the 2' router

- Linux: ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

- Windows:

(i.e., obtain an IP address automatically & release/renew with "ipconfig") c) Log into the 2' router default IP address (e.g., http://192.168.1.1)d) Give the 2' router an unused IP address in the same subnet as the 1' router DHCP range, but above or below (i.e., "outside") the range of the

1' router (e.g., 192.168.1.200) e) Turn off DHCP serving (i.e., let the 1' router assign all IP addresses!)' f) Turn off RIP or RIP2 if that option exists. g) Turn off Universal Plug-N-Play (UPnP) support, if that option exists. h) It's best to set up the 2' router with a different SSID (e.g., WRT54G-2) but the same case-sensitive SSID 'can' be used. i) It's best to allow broadcasting of your 2' router SSID j) It's best to use the same encryption & passphrase in the 2' router as in the 1' router (e.g., WPA2/AES, & 'foobar') k) Choose a channel with good separation between the 1' and 2' router (e.g., if the 1' router is on channel 1, put the 2' router on channel 6 or 11) l) Unplug the PC from the 2' router (which is now configured as an access point)

Hook up the 2' router as the access point downstairs: a) Don't plug anything into the 2' router's WAN port! b) Plug the cable from the wall jack to a LAN port on the 2' router c) Technically, you need a crossover cable to connect the 1' router to the 2' router but most routers support auto-crossover (MDI/MDI-X)

Test the newly set up access point by wire: a) Connect the PC by cable to a LAN port of the 2'router b) If you're not immediately connected, reboot routers & PCs in that order c) If still not connected, doublecheck the PC IP address is on the same subnet (see prior instructions above)

Test the newly set up access point by wireless: a) Disconnect the PC from the 2' router LAN port b) In wireless networking, search for & select the broadcast SSID c) Enter the 2' router passphrase and you should be connected wirelesssly!