Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.

Only someone who has done their own alignment at home would understand why I say the math makes my head explode - which is where a cellphone app could play a key role in simplifying things.

You see, what you measure at home for an alignment is (almost) NEVER what the spec actually is. Why? I can't tell you why. I can just tell you that it always seems that you have to CONVERT your measurements to the spec.

For example, my ancient bimmer has toe spec'd in degrees, but, at home, you typically measure toe in inches, not in degrees ... simply because it's trivial to measure toe in inches at home to the desired accuracy (all you need is a home-made U-shaped toe rod where you mark the tire centerline at a certain height and then lock the toe rod into place for a subsequent distance measurement).

Luckily, instead of in degrees, most American cars (thankfully) seem to spec toe in inches (which, for once, makes sense), but of course, it's often inches to centerline, where you then have to figure out what they define as the centerline (which can be different on every vehicle).

For camber, at least you normally get a spec in degrees, but you can rather easily measure camber in inches using just a plumb bob and a ruler, so again, you have to convert (using basic trig) from inches to degrees.

Meanwhile, you compute caster from the other measurements.

The point is that (a) each vehicle is different in how it differs from (a) the specs it gives you, and (b) the specs you can easily measure at home to the required precision & repeatability.

IMHO, all the work is NOT in the measurements themselves, nor is there much additional work in the adjustments (twisting a bolt is easy, and even easier to replicate the normal position of the vehicle with niceties like toe plates and camber jigs).

IMHO ... *All the work is in the math.*

That's where an app that measures angles and which can take as input distances, can be a wonderful app that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.

Hence, the question...

Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & calculations?

Reply to
arlen michael holder

That will teach you to sleep through Trigonometry 101

Reply to
SOHCAHTOA

I think he is looking for an electronic app to align his penis with the target. Probably a blind man.

Reply to
Hank Rogers
Reply to
arlen michael holder

You will find that average will remain at zero because wheel alignments are not the simple tasks they once were since now it usually involves 4 wheels, not two. Get it wrong, you create a very dangerous car.

They make auto off electric jugs just for people like you. No need for a timer.

There is a reason there are zero alignment apps - because it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

Reply to
Xeno

You too, huh?

Reply to
Xeno

Here you are:

To express minute of angle in inches you just need the distance from target. You may be going at alignment along the hardest possible route but not as complex as ballistics.

Reply to
AMuzi