Do you bother to sharpen your lawn mower blade? Why?

An awfull lot more likely to start the engine attempting to remove the blade. Your reasoning just doesn't wash. More likely to spill gas out of the tank and oil out of the crankcase, or get the cyl full of oil, than start the engine.

Reply to
clare

the blade if the ignition is not grounded by an off switch of some sort. It's very uncommon but you know corporations have to make safe recommendati ons.

d sharpening it on the mower someone would not make sure it can't start and accidentally start the engine and then try to hold them liable. So they t ell you to take the blade off first.

Actually, thinking about this some more, I think Jamesgang has it right and I take back what I said. It's more likely for someone to start the mower while trying to sharpen the blade in situ, because when doing it that way they will almost certainly have to turn the blade to be able to sharpen all of it, get it to a convenient spot, etc. When you remove the blade, it just comes straight off. That's what I've been doing for

30 years, just because it makes a lot more sense to me. With it off I can use a hand-held grinder on it. With it on, IDK what exactly you'd do. A file sure sounds like a pain in the ass, for a number of reasons.
Reply to
trader_4

Do you wish to mention the obvious, or shall I?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

turning the blade if the ignition is not grounded by an off switch of some sort. It's very uncommon but you know corporations have to make safe recommendations.

recommend sharpening it on the mower someone would not make sure it can't start and accidentally start the engine and then try to hold them liable. So they tell you to take the blade off first.

- Actually, thinking about this some more, I think Jamesgang has it right

- and I take back what I said. It's more likely for someone to start the

- mower while trying to sharpen the blade in situ, because when doing it

- that way they will almost certainly have to turn the blade to be able

- to sharpen all of it, get it to a convenient spot, etc. When you remove

- the blade, it just comes straight off. That's what I've been doing for

- 30 years, just because it makes a lot more sense to me. With it off I can

- use a hand-held grinder on it. With it on, IDK what exactly you'd do.

- A file sure sounds like a pain in the ass, for a number of reasons.

Mine is electric and not as strong as gas powered, so I generally file it every 2-3 mowings. Real quick and easy doing it that often. This one has a removable safey 'key' that breaks the circuit, but I still disconnect one of the battery connections "just in case".

A lot of people get killed with "unloaded" guns.

Reply to
Guv Bob