Do they still use grassy airports.

Actually, it says the opposite:

"Looking to charter a private jet into Owings Mills, MY? St John Airport is a small airport. With a maximum runway length of 2600 it demands a smaller aircraft, such as a single engine piston or high-performance turboprop."

You're looking at the generic booking tool for charters anywhere.

Reply to
trader_4

Crop dusters are pretty busy guys in Nebraska in the summer. A part of one job I had years ago was to flag for one. All I had to do was stand at the end of the field as the plane lined up for a pass. Move before he flew over spraying. Walk X amount of steps then wait for him to line up for the next pass. It's been years since I've seen anyone do that. GPS must be part of the reason.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You're right. Thanks.

I didn't go down far enough. I saw the big brown or black bar below the planes and thought that was the bottom of the page.

So it sounds like they actually know something about this airstrip and that it's actually used.

None of the planes listed that can land there go more than 117 miles. But that might be enough, at least it will take you to Balt.Wash Int Airport.

It lists all these "airports" that I've also never heard of,

Charter a private plane from Butler, Maryland using Tinsley Airstrip (MD17 ) which is 2.9 miles away from St John Airport Charter a private plane from Finksburg, Maryland using Reservoir Airport (MD95 ) which is 6.5 miles away from St John Airport -- this one is permanently closed, but my friend who was a census taker on that road noticed it anyhow. Charter a private plane from Eldersburg, Maryland using Hoby Wolf Airport (1W5 ) which is 10.2 miles away from St John Airport Charter a private plane from Westminster, Maryland using Clearview Airpark (2W2 ) which is 13.7 miles away from St John Airport Charter a private plane from Long Green, Maryland using Albrecht Airstrip (MD48 ) which is 13.9 miles away from St John Airport Charter a private plane from Woodbine, Maryland using Suzie Field (8MD0 ) which is 15.3 miles away from St John Airport Charter a private plane from Westminster, Maryland using Carroll County Regional Jack B Poage Field (KDMW ) which is 15.8 miles away from St John Airport -- This one is a real airport, the only one I knew of. Charter a private plane from Woodbine, Maryland using Woodbine Airport (MD78 ) which is 17.8 miles away from St John Airport Charter a private plane from Westminster, Maryland using Baugher's Orchard Airport (07MD ) which is 17.9 miles away from St John Airport I know about the last one, Baugher's Orchard. They have "pick your own". I guess they have another grass strip, but I don't see it on the map.

Reply to
micky

Or tunfra tires - and some guys use THEM on water and snow too!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:35:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Near Johnsville? I'm really not familiar with that area... I have heard Buell Field.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 28 Dec 20 05:44:53 UTC, micky posted for all of us to digest...

One can see those balls on areas where they may land a Medevac helo. That's why a fire engine is dispatched for their landings to communicate obstructions with the crew. Wires, towers and sloping land are particularly hard to spot. They also have predesignated lz's.

Reply to
Tekkie©

micky explained on 12/26/2020 :

I looked for grass airstrips near me and found this:

Not an airport though I guess.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Further east near I95 or Rt 13. It has been closed for many years, I'm thinking 1970s.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How did you conclude that? That good size turboprop can only go 117 miles? That doesn't sound right either.

Reply to
trader_4

The most basic Cessna 172 can go ~550-600 N miles and some models go more like 800. It wouldn't be worth owning a plane if it only went 117 miles at a hop.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 18:26:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Gotcha, long time ago...

Reply to
Tekkie©