Do they make LED lights for a Stove Hood?

Have a hood over my stove and I like to leave it on as a sort of nightlight. But I dont want an incandescent bulb left on all the time. (due to electric costs). I put a CFL in there and it did not last long. Even though the heat from the gas rance is quite a bit lower, I suppose it still heats up the bulb, and causes premature failure. I know they dont make LED lights for ovens, and probably never will. But for a hood, is there one made that can handle "some" heat?

Otherwise I guess I just have to put an incandescent in there and install another fixture on the wall or ceiling for a night light, and only use the hood light when I'm cooking.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

What kind of range hood gets hot?

Sure, a bit warm, but not hot.

I think anything that fits should be fine. The CFL failure was probably a fluke.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have been using an LED in our hood for about 2 yrs...boiling pasta, beer brats, no problems.

Reply to
bob_villa

Then I guess I should be ok with it. I know the hoods dont get severely hot, but there is still heat there, as well as crud.

I do wonder what they will eventually make for oven lights. It appears that incandescent bubs are all we have. Even those I have wondered how they keep the solder from melting where the glass bulb is connected to the base.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

decades ago I had this problem but it was the fridge light used as a night light. I fixed it by using a motion detector and a small light that came on when it sensed motion. Eventually that became rope light above the train tracks but that may just be us. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

I put LED light strips under my hood ... actually, under the upper cabinets, too. I used 2 strips, side by side; one warm white and the other cool white. Either color by itself looked either too yellow or too blue/white. I used 2 12 volt power supplies to power it. Actually, there are 2 supplies as a corner window made running 12 volts from one side to the other very difficult. Back to the hood, there are other bulbs which we use when we need lots of light, but the LED strips come on at dusk and shut off at about midnight, or when we manually do an X10 all off at bedtime. No problems in the last year and a half and we do cook a lot.

Reply to
Art Todesco

The heat from cooking added to the heat from the LED electronics bulb will probably shorten the bulb life somewhat. But unless you have a very strang e cooking arrangement, the temperatures around the bulb aren't going to get all that hot for all that long. And, if the bulb is not on all that much, you probably won't notice the shortened life from maybe 24,000 hours down to maybe 5000 hours. Live it up and try it, 40W and 60W LED bulbs are down to $1.97 at our local Menards and Home Depot stores.

Reply to
hrhofmann