do simpson meters use fluke-style leads?

Don't have the two together to compare. Have a brand new set of Fluke leads, but they're not here right now.

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Completely OT, but I found this amusing

Notice the *number* (presumably in a series) of the card - which is why I was looking at that auction in the first place.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I can not tell for sure, but even some Simpson meters have differant leads. I have two Simpson 260 meters at home. One has a male on the lead and the other has a female on the lead. I have an older Fluke meter at home and a newer one of a differant series at work.

The Fluke I have uses a male lead and the newer Simpson 260 uses a female lead. They will not fit.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Leads are not the same.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Jeff The Drunk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

the older meters used a simple banana plug lead,the end is bare. the newer meters/DMMs use a shielded(insulated) banana plug lead,so klutzes don't shock themselves when trying to remove test leads while they're still connected to a live circuit.

you can use the older unshielded banana plug leads on a newer meter,but you can't use newer leadsets on the older meters because the shield prevents insertion.

and the test lead plugs are MALE,the meter jacks are female.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The older Simpsons had "pin jacks", I believe they were called. They were much smaller than a banana jack.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My 270 dating from ~1973 has banana jacks. Same for the 260 series. How much "older" are you considering?

I recall other brands of meters(the cheaper ones)having pin jacks. Like the tiny Triplett 310.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well this just got a lot more pertinent because I just won a 260 for cheap on fleaBay (of course.) If I need new leads, just get standard meter leads with male banana plugs on them? "Shielded" if it looks like they will fit?

Recent discussions regarding analog vs. digital meters made me realize that I have a kinda-good Fluke digital, a good Fluke digital, but no decent analog meter.

Reason I asked the question is, buying from ADI or Grainger is kind of a PITA unless you know what you need right up front (and also work for someone with an account, but I have that covered,) and I don't have a good consumer electronics type store anywhere near me.

thanks

nate

Reply to
N8N

That's a killer picture!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The new style leads have a shroud that you can cut off with a bit of care. This will expose the banana plugs allowing you to easily plug them into your 260.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Older than that. '73 was probably the last time I actually used a

260. I clearly remember the pin jacks, though (I used to repair test equipment when I was in college).
Reply to
keith

I have two Simpson 260 meters at home. The older series 6 has Female sockets on the meter and the probes are unshielded male. The newer one (which is probably 20 years old) is a series 7 and the meter has male pins recessed way down in the meter and the probes have female holes.

The series 6 goes back to atleast 1973 and the series 7 goes back to 1981. Here is a place where you can look at the manuals and schematics and dates for them..

Ralph Mowery

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:lbedncl9GIepzCfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I repaired and calibrated test equipment in the USAF;Precision Measurement Equipment Lab(aka PMEL)and then for Tektronix for 21 yrs.

I built my own 270-3 while I was in the USAF. B-) It's been a great meter.

I wish I hadn't passed up that Fluke 515 calibrator for $100 at Skycraft Surplus several years ago.

URL from Ebay shows you are correct.

I guess you could make an adapter to use ordinary banana plug test leads,at least until you can buy new ones that fit. Simple tubes would suffice,perhaps cast into some epoxy for insulation.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

This one has what I'm calling the "pin jacks" (don't remember if that's the actual name).

It looks like they changed to the banana jacks in '58.

I did say they were "older" 260s. ;-)

Reply to
krw